Walleye In aquarium

blurock

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2008
Washington
Does anyone keep Walleye in a tank or pond? Anyone have pics?
I grew up Walleye fishing in Eastern Washington and they have always been some of my favorite fish... Thus my asking.

Wondering how well it would work, and any info anyone could give me on keeping them would be wonderful! Temp/max size you've seen/etc...

Nanoreefer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
Virginia
Walleye are pretty awesome fish!Now walleye are nocturnal,so cover,and good cover for that,is needed.I've always kept mine in low lighting,so I'm not sure how well they can be kept in regular lighting.Bright lighting is not good,however,so I would avoid that.A 180 gallon is fine.Keep the pH at what you get your water from (sink,hose,etc).Temps are pretty important,I woudn't keep one above 76 degrees or below 68.Yellow perch make great tankmates,as so do longnose gar and larger natives.Walleye are predators,so the fish has to be larger than the walleye.No feeders.However,if the walleye won't take frozen/prepared food,try minnows or crayfish.Frozen pieces of fish also work.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Walleye are very interesting since they are popular gamefish but not popular aquarium fish... You need 200 + gals to house a single adult walleye, but they are not so actively than black basses, just hugging bottom all day expect the feeding time. And they are very difficulty to train them to take well prepared foods such as frozen foods and pellets. Sauger are excellent tankmates for walleye and possible suitable for smaller tanks than walleye (through sauger can reach more than 8 pounds in the wild) And jumbo perch could work out but smaller perch are no-no for adult walleye. Make sure you got healthy feeder fishes or baitfish. Crayfish, prawns, earthworms and leech could add to their diet as walleye dont have to eat fish all time. Good luck with walleye keeping!

blurock

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2008
Washington
Hey thanks guys. Now if I could just find one...

Anyone got pics of ones they have kept?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store