i found my 12 inch spotted gar

aeea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2006
Philippines
guys, i found out this morning i woke up, that my 12 inch spotted gar...........dead :( his body is bent like a C-shape,not breathing anymore :( and already dead :( waaahhhh! :( one thing i noticed last night is that he doesn't eat his shrimp that i usually give him,i dropped it and he just let it touch his nose and no more, he was not interested,what i did was to remove the uneaten food before i left him and hoped he comes around this morning

he is placed inside a bare 75galon tank with an overheadfilter,water level is about 1 foot deep, also have a tankmate another spotted gar about 14 inches

they usually swim together as if playing around the tank and take turns during feeding :) its so nice to watch them evrytime i comeback from work :)

i will surely miss my pet,i noticed that his tank mate also misses him because he has no one to play with anymore :(

can you guys at least try to explain how my gar died?what's the cause?
i don't want to lose my other gar :(

what will i do next?anyone,pls help....thanks in advance fellow monsterfishkeepers!

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
Sorry for your loss, that sucks! Gars are like carps, almost impossible to kill. It sounds like he may of had some internal parasites. What kind of shrimp are you feeding your gars and do you only feed them shrimp? Also, before he passed, did you notice any strange behavior patterns or aggitation?

aeea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2006
Philippines
thanks for ur quick reply, yup i agree with you about gars being impossible to kill.and having a dead gar really sucks!
their diets are basically market shrimps,first, i defrost them, them i remove the sharp things on its head and on the tail, then cut them in two, before i feed it to my pets,the only thing i noticed last night was that he didn't eat and he is not playing with his tankmate like they usually do,i remeber feeding them the day before, and they look fine, i do regular siphoning of the wastes that is acumulated on the tankfloor(those not sucked in the filer intake)
i did not notice any agitation(as far as i know)
about internal parasites,am still pondering about that,since i fed them with clean food ,the same market shrimp that i also like to eat(cooked ofcourse)and that i do maintain the tank clean.
one thing that bothers me is the shape/state that i found him... he is in a C-shape position,,anyway thanks for ur reply,
i hope somebody also suggest or comment on this
i dont want to lose my other gar(so difficult to acquire one)

Gar keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2009
In a pond with Gars snapping at me
He may have hit the glass and broke his back. Sometimes they trip out and dart around. Very sad for your loss, I know how it is to lose a fish that you love. Hang in there and try to get another gar.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
sorry for your loss,probably broke its back

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
sorry for your loss, always sucks to lose a good fish.

as for the cause, internal parasites are possible, but unlikely to have caused this sudden onset mortality. what were the tank conditions...temperature, pH, ammonia? when did you last do a water change?
can you better describe this C-shape? did it look like it was bent sideways into a C-shape or was it bent head-to-tail along the top of the back sideways? this would help figure out if it was a back injury.

again, sorry for your loss. my guess is it was tank conditions or breaking its back, so i would not be terribly concerned with the other fish at the moment. if you haven't don a water change in the past week i would do one now and keep tabs on the gar--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store