Two breeding questions, bettas and convicts

dudey

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2008
us
So for my betta's I basically followed this guide http://joshday.com/howtobreedbettafish.htm Have the female in the glass chimney and the male on the outside. It has been almost a week and the male has been harrassing the female from the outside ever since I put him in. Occassionally I see him under the cup but so far no bubble nest, or not even anything that looks like hes starting one. However as far as the female goes she has shown the stripey pattern associated with breeding, and has been facing head down and is very fat. I assume she is ready and waiting for the male to squeeze the eggs out of her.

Does it usually take a male this long to build his nest? and I am just being really impatient?

But more importantly how long will the eggs last in her before they are no longer good and she dumps them?

The question on cons is what is the easiet way to sex them? Ive heard the orange spot or so but how noticable is it? If someone can post a pic of the difference I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
for the cons just doa general web search for female convict. And what you will see is a convict that has a orange color on the lower mid section. that is the female. the male will have no orange and his stripes appear washed out.

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
you might just have a bad pair. Give them some more time, and if that doesn't work you might have to go with a diff female

eclinekid89

Feeder Fish
Jul 4, 2006
NH
ive been trying to breed my bettas as well, i put half a cup in there and the minute i did the betta started making bubbles in them. His nests still dont seem to stay together though.

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
Betta pairs are hit or miss. It's not the female you might need to switch, it's the male. Some males are just straight up killers and won't tolerate a female even when breeding. Seems like he's spending all of his time harassing her and not bothering with nest building. Try to take her out and wait for him to build a nest, or you need to get a new male. How old is the male btw? I've noticed that older males tend to fail at breeding.

As for convicts, the orange belly is very noticeable on females. Also, at any lfs that caries them, you're bound to find a pair that's already formed out of the bunch that they have. They often breed in the lfs holding/display tanks.

dudey

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2008
us
Well the female has died. Have no idea why. She definitely was full of eggs. My girlfriend had the male for about a year I am just "borrowing" him. So dont know how old he is. Im going to try and get another female and see if he likes him more. We will see.

As far as the convicts I have three and two have small orange spots but you have to look hard. The third is the bigger of the three and he constantly chases them.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
The femal con will have an orange or brick red belly. The male is bigger and doesnt have these colors on his belly. It sounds like you have 2 females and 1 male. Be careful though, if you see that 2 of them pair off, remove the other because she will be killed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store