white thing hanging from eye!

abuley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2008
North Carolina
Okay so here's the dealio....I've got a 4.5 in GT and a 3.5 in Blue Acara (guesstimating on the size) together in one of my growout tanks. I think they've paired up, they've run everyone else out of the tank. Anyways, water params are normal, water changes normal, temp stable, substrate is sand, tank is planted, nothing news been added, so I have no idea where this came from.

The Blue Acara now has a white thing about the size of a large-ish grain of rice hanging from beneath its left eye. However, it's not hard looking like a grain of rice, it seems more soft, almost mucousy but it holds its shape. In the last few hours it seems its become a little more loose, less firm. But anyways it's still about the size of a grain of rice. And it's hanging from right beneath the eye, in the pinkish ring around the eye. That part seems like it may have gotten a little more white/cloudy coating over it but the eye itself is still clear, and I'm not sure if the colors changed cause the fish's color is darker today than usual, so the contrast may just be greater. And, the thing is definitely not hanging from the eye itself, not the actual protruded part anyways. It is hanging from the ring that is like the seam between the eye and the head, if that makes any sense. So anyways, other than the white hanging thing, the fish is acting perfectly normal. Actually I take that back, usually its hanging out always right by the GTs side, and now today whenever I've watched the tank from a spot where the fish can't see me, it's been kind of off on its own, though as soon as I walk into view its back practically trying to swim through the gas to get to me (definitely the most friendly, personable fish I've had, so outgoing!).

Soooo I have no idea. And the GT is fine. Oh yeah, I checked the whole list of parasites/other illnesses and it's not anything there that I can find. And it really doesn't seem like a worm, it's too loosy, mucousy, fat-ish, like I said, like a grain of rice (not like any kind of skinny worm). And it moves with the current/the fish swimming back and forth. Okay I guess that's all the info I have for now. I can't get any photos right now, but mostly I just can't find ANY info ANYWHERE about anything hanging from a fish's eye (I did search the forums here). So if you have any at all ideas, even if you think they're kind of way off, so long as it's white, grain sized, and hanging from beneath the eye...TELL ME please!

Thanks, if you read this whole thing you're awesome =)

Eagerly awaiting replies =)

abuley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2008
North Carolina
update; did 40% water change last night, stats still good. Most of the thing that was hanging has disappeared. Upon closer inspection (and see the rest missing) it looks to be almost like tissue? Anyways, I was unsure yesterday if it was just due to its color, but the rings around the acara's eyes are definitely more white. And it mostly keeps the side with the thing hanging from it towards the GT (instead of away, as i it were trying to hide that side) but swims/chills angled with it's body slightly up, as if it can't see from the top part of it's eye...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store