DId your datnoids ever had an eating strike?

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
It seems like my two 11" ST are having an eating strike. They have been rejecting shrimp for a week. That was their daily staple for almost a year. for some reason, they decided to stop eating shrimp last week. They grab a piece and after a second or two, they spit it back out.

Anyone had this experience before? I will probably grab smelt or silversides this weekend if they continue on not eating the shrimp. I am also thinking of buying nightcrawlers to spur everyone's interest for food.

As a result of the feeding strike, the 7" St is not eating either.

Anybody else experienced this?

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
i made the mistake of giving a newly acquired 9" IT nightcrawlers because he hadnt been eating. now that i gave him a few worms he refuses to eat anything else. id wait it out until they get hungry. giving them nightcrawlers might backfire on you be careful!

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
jcardona1;2285315; said:
i made the mistake of giving a newly acquired 9" IT nightcrawlers because he hadn't been eating. now that i gave him a few worms he refuses to eat anything else. id wait it out until they get hungry. giving them nightcrawlers might backfire on you be careful!
Exactly my thoughts. They are both fatties so a week should be a piece of cake. Although I was feeding smelt and silversides before I switched to shrimp. I had to switch because it makes the tank smell a lot.

I'll wait it out. I'm worried about the smaller ST though because its skinny. Should I transfer it to the smaller 30 gallon tank where I keep my ray? That tank always get a good dose of blood worms everyday. Hmmnn...

racefiend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2008
Alberta,Canada
Mine are doing the same right now. I was wondering what's up also. They almost take my fingers off taking the krill then they spit it out.

VVateverzYo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2007
boston
yeah same thing they chose Krill and Freeze Dried Shrimp over raw but whateverz as long as they are eating try something new and then go back to shrimp

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
Everyone's back to their greedy selves. Even my 7" skinny ST started eating shrimp last night! :)

Prophet714

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2008
S. Cali
I think I'm having the same problem. My NTT has always been eating shrimp, krill, prawn, or squid. Just a couple of days ago, I gave him his first gold fish. ever since then he has had 4 total. Now he's rejecting the shrimp i usually give him for a staple. do you guys think he's on a strike also? what should i do? i still have 4 gold fishes left. I dont want to encourage his behavior

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
Prophet714;2303829; said:
I think I'm having the same problem. My NTT has always been eating shrimp, krill, prawn, or squid. Just a couple of days ago, I gave him his first gold fish. ever since then he has had 4 total. Now he's rejecting the shrimp i usually give him for a staple. do you guys think he's on a strike also? what should i do? i still have 4 gold fishes left. I dont want to encourage his behavior
See jcardona's post above bro. My skinny ST ate yesterday but not today. It has begun eating but its still a damn primadonna.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store