Gar ID game!

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
okay just to liven things up on this forum, i decided to try this. here's how it goes. post a pic of a part of yr gar, and give 2 clues pertaining to which sp it is.

Rules:
clues
-one clue sould be a scientific/known fact, eg; how many lateral scales it has/ this species of gar is found not in north america, but in central america
-this clue must be verified and cited
-the second clue would be a fun fact, eg; this species of gar is known to be self destructive and psychopathic.
-however the rule is that the clue has to be able to be applied to it's species as a general.
-also the clue must not be able to be applied to all gar species. hence you cant say things like : this species of gar eats fish.
-try and use a fact that is little known about the species

answering
to answer, simply state which species you think it is, how the picture helped you, and if the clue helped. if the poster had made a mistake in his/her clue, then correct him. so everyone learns. please only correct the poster about his clues if you know, and not if you merely think so.

the point of the game- is so that we can help forumers recognise different various species by one or two parts of the fish. also, to share knowledge about these wonderful fish. finally, i am hoping for the more experienced members to share some of the lesser known facts/fun facts about gars.

*please be civil, after all it is only a game. mods please delete any posts that derail the thread. thanks*

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore

factual clue: This gar is a red-list endangered species

fun fact: this fish loves to porpoise while taking gulps of air

--now if you see anything wrong about the clues, please point them out. have fun!

Johny

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
Australia
cuban gar, i noticed from the color from the tail and body....and cubans are almost endangered;)

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
:D what about the colour of the tail? i'll let it run for a while and get more answers, ideas and would be misconceptions:)

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
good concept overall xander, hope it works out :)

reGARding the fun fact...porpoising is not relegated to this gar species, and just about any gar species will do this (in fact i think i've seen all species do this at some point). i would suggest another fun fact :)

also, for your red list reference...you can look that stuff up by going to endangered species/redlist databases and finding/verifying that information directly. good luck--
--solomon

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
E_americanus;2293260; said:
good concept overall xander, hope it works out :)

reGARding the fun fact...porpoising is not relegated to this gar species, and just about any gar species will do this (in fact i think i've seen all species do this at some point). i would suggest another fun fact :)

also, for your red list reference...you can look that stuff up by going to endangered species/redlist databases and finding/verifying that information directly. good luck--
--solomon
Could you elaborate on this? I'm not sure i follow.

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
my guess is cuban. BTW good idea.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
city_of_evil6661;2293654; said:
my guess is cuban. BTW good idea.
thanks:) perhaps i wasn't clear. the idea of this thread is not for everyone to ID the fish, but to share their reasons as to why they do so, so that everyone can read the info and learn.:)

KaraJo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
NE Ohio
pretty cool idea xander. I know that's a cuban...can tell by pattern and coloration of tail.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store