Filtration for 125-gallon Aquarium

ian8834

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2008
Southern Indiana
Hey. Have a quick question.

Right now, I have an AquaClear 110 and a Magnum 350 both filtering my 125-gallon aquarium. I have switched to sand, so I am going to change the AquaClear to some sort of canister filter.

I had relied on the AC 110 to do all three types of filtration. Right now, in my Magnum, I am only running carbon in it. What should I use in my other canister when I have it running? Some type of biological filtration, I am assuming.

BigDaddyMagnum

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2008
New York
your using me?:ROFL: and yes you assume correct

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
why dont you sell your AC and magnum 350 and get an xp4 or fx5? that's all you need for clear tank...even wet/dry filter even better.

esse

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2006
Henderson Nevada
Depends on what you have in your tank. A heavy load I would get a better bio filter (Sump or Eheim) and keep the AC for mechanical filtration and as a secondary filter.

ian8834

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2008
Southern Indiana
esse;2300544; said:
Depends on what you have in your tank. A heavy load I would get a better bio filter (Sump or Eheim) and keep the AC for mechanical filtration and as a secondary filter.
I have a needlenose, elephant nose, and will have a stingray in there soon.

I bought a new filter last night...a Fluval 404. I will be using this along with the Magnum 350.

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
If you have a 404 thats really all your going to need with the AC-110. Ditch the Magnum or at least the carbon unless you have a crap load of drift wood I think carbon is about 99% useless for daily filtration purposes. Pulling medications / tannins ect.. out of the water its great, daily use = waste O money IMO.

ian8834

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2008
Southern Indiana
Mattyou;2300773; said:
If you have a 404 thats really all your going to need with the AC-110. Ditch the Magnum or at least the carbon unless you have a crap load of drift wood I think carbon is about 99% useless for daily filtration purposes. Pulling medications / tannins ect.. out of the water its great, daily use = waste O money IMO.
I'm getting rid of the AC-110. It isn't doing well since I put sand in. I've had to clean it out twice this week because it's picked up sand in the filter and made some loud sounds. That's why I ordered the Fluval 404.

So now, help me out and tell me what I should keep in the Magnum 350 and the Fluval 404. If carbon isn't needed, then what is? All I know is that I am getting a stingray and they need a lot of filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store