Con Info

polarbear

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2008
Calgary Alberta
Okay so I have talked my girlfriend into letting me get some cons which I am most excited about as I was looking for a promotion from goldfish and snails. However before I go out and buy a new setup and that kind of jazz I need to know what they are all about. Tank sizes, feeding needs, water needs, bio load issues, breeding info everything you can think of. I could go about finding this info on my own but have found the MFKers a much more valuable source of info than any book or search of my own. I do have an empty tank I asked about (a little over a 20 gallon) that I can use but I am not tied to that tank if it is not acceptable I would consider the investment in a larger tank! Thanks for the help everyone I am super excited now! :headbang2

Aphilophus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Dodge Center,MN
30 gal tank should be good for 2 pair females have orange bellys on all morphs.they like hard water with a high ph. food a good flake or pellet also supplemented with frozen like blod worms and mysis shrimp decor lots of rocks and wood size a 6in male is huge 4 to 5 inmore likely not a huge fish so with proper filtration and water changes there should be no bioload consern

polarbear

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2008
Calgary Alberta
joeyballz;2312128; said:
What do you plan to do will all their babies? If you get a pair you should have 3 billion in a few months.

that is a good question. I would like to breed a fish but I not sure I'll buy a pair if I don't get a bigger setup and a place to take fry. I would think I would have to take the general advice and seperate the two fish if I wasn't breeding. I like the cons they are cool fish and from what I understand a good way to get into cichlids. I have some oops room with them and they are hardy enough for my errors. I like the idea of breeding but until I do some research I am not sure that is any more than just an interest. I will have the cycle time to consider further. What do other people do with their Con fry who can't house them?

polarbear

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2008
Calgary Alberta
Females are smaller and less needy am I correct. The males need lots of space for swimming to be comfortable? Seems to be what I read. As far as preference are the Males or Females a more interesting fish? Are two males viable? Thanks

alleykat0498

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
Central Virginia
If you want a pair I suggest a 29-55 gallon tank. After all the bigger the tank=less work. Find a pet store with some convict grow outs less than an inch and get like 10 of them, depending on tank size as soon as 1 or 2 pairs form return the rest. (give em away or whatever) They really are fascinating when they go through the motions of preparing a "nest" and the parenting aspect. As far as population control my oscars and my juvenile arowana do a pretty good job of keeping that in check... After all it seems like your just coming into this MONSTER lifestyle and all those babies make an excuse for more and bigger tanks:naughty: Atleast thats the excuse that worked with my wife.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store