Ball Python Tank Size

ExoticEctotherms

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2007
South Jersey
I have read a lot of conflicting information about tank size requirements for ball pythons. I live by the mantra that bigger is always better, especially when keeping living animals in your home and if you cannot provide for the basic needs for an animal then you shouldn't have it.

That being said, what do you guys think is the minimum recommended size enclosure for a ball python? One place I read said a standard 30 gallon was good for an adult, but another said at least a 55 gallon. I am looking at getting either a 36x18x18 or a 48x24x24. Obviously the bigger one is better, but is the 36x18x18 enough?

Thanks.

Ophiuchus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2006
AL
www.ShiningSnakes.com
This is why I generally hate glass tanks for reptiles.

The problem is that most standard aquariums are 12" wide, which even for an adult male BP, that is a very narrow enclosure.

If you're dead-set on a glass tank, I suggest the 40 breeder which is 36"x18"x16"

Jessica Dring

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2007
Liverpool, UK.
For an adult, I reccomend a 4x2x2 if possible, if not, the very least at 3x2x2 but I believe the extra foot will be benefical.
My female is in a 4x2x2 and is feeding great and seemingly, content and she is very healthy.. She climbs too, so the extra height is well used!

Please make sure you have at least two identical snug fitting hides, one on the cool side of the vivarium and one on the warm side. I have personally witnessed Royal Pythons choosing the most comfortable hide of temperature gradient which is why in my personal opinion, identical ones are neccassary.

Good luck! :)

ExoticEctotherms

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2007
South Jersey
Ophiuchus;2314121; said:
This is why I generally hate glass tanks for reptiles.

The problem is that most standard aquariums are 12" wide, which even for an adult male BP, that is a very narrow enclosure.

If you're dead-set on a glass tank, I suggest the 40 breeder which is 36"x18"x16"

I'm sorry if i was misleading, but actually i'm dead set against a glass tank. I was just using the gallon measurements as a reference point. I'm pretty sure that i'm going with the 4x2x2, i just wanted some more opinions.

Thanks.

Jessica Dring

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2007
Liverpool, UK.
Glad your not going with a glass tank, IMO there are so many better ways to house these pythons!

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
4x2x2 would be loads of room for even a large female. Sometimes you'll get specimens that would rather be in smaller quarters and go off feed if you don't, but normally a problem if you have a proper heat gradient and suitable hiding spots at different ends.

Jessica Dring

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2007
Liverpool, UK.
That looks very smart :)
Are you going to put secure branches in etc for it to climb, just out of interest? :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store