new tank stocklist ideas

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
well, the new tank is ordered, 5x3(wide)x2. and i need ideas for a stocklist.

the first fish in are 2 20inch cubans, and i have 3 spotteds being grown out, along with an orino(peacock bass). the reason im posting here is i want it to be a "gar tank"

anyways here're some of the ideas i've come up with so far.

1-cuban gars!
i've managed to source out 2 more 20inchers, should i just get them and squeeze the spotteds in, without any other fish? just 4xcubans and 3-4xspotteds. if i do this it'll just be white substrate with hanging branches. plus if i decide, african aro.

2 & 3-mixed community
in this case i'd go for a natural look, with some planted hard decor around the corners, plants in the ground and hanging branches. maybe one or two thick branches in the center to break up territory. no african aro as it'd destroy the plants

stocklist for 2 would be the 2 cubans, 3 spotteds, and basically the reason i would go for this idea over number 1 is i'd try for some tropical gar.

stocklist 3(not really a gar takn anymore, but it leaves me space to swap fish around in case i get bored) would be somewhat identical to two, but instead of tropical gar, i would go with orino bass/12" goliath atf(i know how bad an idea this is gonna be, this idea just keeps swimming around in my head), bowfin(if i manage to find one), and other primitive fish that i could get with the money i'd save on cubans/trops.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Sounds like you have a lot more thinking to do.

I would try focusing it on the Gar tank idea, but i do understand wanting to mix things up (which usually ends in disappointment). From what i've heard Bowfin wouldn't be a good choice and the ATF obviously is not a good choice. Personally i would go with the Cubans and Florida/Spotteds...then add some Trops or other Gar species if/when you come across them. This would be the least likely mix to end up in the "lessons learned" forum.

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
im not sure if it would work but some cuban gars and a pair or two of cuban cichlids would be cool

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
ATF won't work...will be killed and/or eaten by the Cubans in no time (or by other gars). if you want a gar tank, go with a gar tank...they are best kept together and not with any other fishes anyway (and even then you'll still get some frequent damage). avoid all unnecessary decor as it will just get in the way and potentially cause more broken back issues.

i would hold out for the t-gar if you really want one...i had to wait for mine for years and years, but it was awesome once they came in and the collection was complete. pbass aren't a good idea either way; but since you already have one, i would just suggest not adding any more--
--solomon

justink

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2007
MFK'less
if you have that many ideas just sit on it for a few.. no need to rush into a whole new tank..enjoy what u got..when the right idea smacks u in the face go for that one :)

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
justink;2317113; said:
if you have that many ideas just sit on it for a few.. no need to rush into a whole new tank..enjoy what u got..when the right idea smacks u in the face go for that one :)
agreed...
personally i'd do a tank with a mix of species.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
love4aquatic;2852632; said:
cichlids rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You suck... go away... there is a subforum elsewhere for your type.. stay there... Don't bring your chiclet crap where it is really not needed or appreciated.

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Xander do you like polypterus? A few nice polys would work good with the gar comm. I'd go for some big fat endli's personally.

love4aquatic;2852632; said:
cichlids rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I rather like cichlids myself, but they're not the greatest gar tankmates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store