cyprichromis leptosoma "ikola" x 30
altolamprologus calvus "white" x 20
tropheus duboisi x 20
tropheus moorii "moliro" (WC) x 15
cyathopherynx furcifer x 25
enatiopus melanogenys x 15
eretmodus cyanosticus x 20
synodontus petricola or multipunctatis x 20

first of all which is easier to breedout of the two synos?
then this was how i was going to house these fish, i am going to be setting up a centralised system with about 550g split between 6 4fts, 3 2fts and an 8ft.

rite now would these fish go together in these tanks:
4ft 1, tropheus duboisi and a couple of calvus and eretmodus,
2, tropheus moorii moliro and some calvus and eretmodus,
3, enatiopus melanogenys,
4, the rest of the calvus and eretmodus then the synodontuses,and some malawi's and vics,
the other 2 4fts i will use for young fish,

8ft will have the 25 furcifer although i will get rid of some males and hopefully only have 4-5 males at the end and the rest females and all of the cyprichromis alwell

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
I've heard of both Synos. breeding in home aquairums.

A four foot tank seems a little small for 15+ Tropheus. Would be OK for temp. grow out, but then would need to upgrade or thin the herd.

Maybe use one of the fry tanks as a Malawi or Vic tank, as opposed to a big mix.

Add another tank for QT off the main system for injured sub-males and harrassd females.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I would re-think that stock list - to many fish and tank sizes dont cooridante well with it - maybe reduce numbers and re-figure what fish go in what tank.

Another thing to look out for is the diet of the fish you will be keeping, make sure each tank with each different speices is getting the proper diet. Also keep in mind that there are a few tangs that cant have blood worms (not sure if you feed that or not). Make sure the cyprichromis get smaller sized foods (like brine shrimp, their mouths are not designed for larger food items).

JamesRiggs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2008
Huntsville,AL
I dont mean to be rude, but this is like the 3rd time this has been posted. I think multiple people have warned you that you do not have the tank space to support that many fish, being that most of them do well in 6ft tanks. If you dont want to take our advice please dont ask for it multiple times. Also mixing malawi and vics with some of those tangs will be a disaster in monsterous proportions. I urge you to thin out your stock lists and start smaller and grow as you get more tank space.

Longstocking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
Maryland
Tropheus do fine in 4 foot tanks. And 15- 20 is a good number. You are on the right track :) Many tropheus breeders use 50-75 gallons for their tropheus...including myself !

Furcifers.... what size of tank is the 8 foot? Really 25 of them is probably over doing it. Try starting with 15 or so, then weed them out. They really fill up a tank and are some of the best looking fish out there.

Calvus and Tropheus aren't the best combination as they require different food. One is a carnivore and one is a herby :) But you might have a way to combat that.

Good luck.... you aren't that far off in my opinion and I have bred all the above fish. Nice selections :)

Longstocking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
Maryland
Yeah... then I'd stick to about 15 to 18 of them... then weed them out.

Guys why are you saying too many fish? Tropheus need to be kept in LARGE groups and crowded. You can't keep 6 of them in a tank . They will fight and kill each other. That is proven ! 12 is the min. number and even then that is pushing it. I don't know of a single tropheus breeder that would say less fish !

Blatch you are fine with your numbers. Yes... you will have to thin out some of the extras but you already said that and know that !

JamesRiggs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Longstocking;2336960; said:
Yeah... then I'd stick to about 15 to 18 of them... then weed them out.

Guys why are you saying too many fish? Tropheus need to be kept in LARGE groups and crowded. You can't keep 6 of them in a tank . They will fight and kill each other. That is proven ! 12 is the min. number and even then that is pushing it. I don't know of a single tropheus breeder that would say less fish !

Blatch you are fine with your numbers. Yes... you will have to thin out some of the extras but you already said that and know that !
You are out of your mind, they are better in larger tanks, a 55 is to tall and not deep enough. It is actually PROVEN that they breed better in a 6ft tank, check with the best breeders and importers and ask what they keep theirs in, a 4ft 90 gallon or a 4ft 120 gallon would be sufficient long term for a colony of 20-25 fish but a smaller tank is not, 12 is not a good enough size colony, that is the BARE minimum to spread the agression. I do not have a colony of less than 25 fish and my largest colony is 45 fish. That many featherfins even in a 8 foot tank is WAY to many, plus furcifer mixed with more agressive fish will cower in a corner, I have experienced this. They are best kept in SPECIES only. Do not set him up for disaster because thata is the path you are leading him on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store