Use of AZEK?

mick11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
St. Peters, MO
I went to Chic Lumber to order 3/4" plywood for my plywood tank build. I started talking with a worker and told him what I was doing. He didn't seem shocked as he has heard of plywood tanks before. He brought me over to a display for AZEK. It's cellular PVC sheets. He gave me two corner boards (Two 3" x 5" boards mitered together) and this stuff is strong. I can't bust the two apart. Has anyone else heard of this stuff, or better yet made a tank out of this stuff? No need to use fiberglass and epoxy resin as this is 100% water proof. Now the bad news. A 1" x 4' x10' piece will run $300. Much more than Plywood at the same size.

The guy at the store said he has a customer that has used this to build fish tanks to transfer fish from his hatchery. No problems so far. I need to locate this guy.

Here is a link

http://www.azek.com/viewProduct.php?id=12

Thanks for looking.

Mick

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Good idea. I wonder how flexible it is - I assume you would still need to frame around the tank for support. Bonding would be easy with heavy-body PVC glue.

I have been toying with the idea of building a tank out of structural fiberglass sheet, but it is expensive and very difficult to find locally.

mick11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
St. Peters, MO
They gave me a one page installation guide. Under Storage and Handling it states that AZEK trim products are more flexible than wood, they may conform to uneven surfaces. They are talking about wall trim, so not sure how flexible a full sheet would be. They did say same characteristics as wood. The sample I have looks and feels like painted wood.

The seller said the guy who built the tanks had no support other than the AZEK itself. he also said that he left the tanks at 3' deep. I don't buy that, but again the sample I have is really strong. I'm 6'5", 290 lbs and I really have tried to bust it, but I can't with bare hands.

I work for Boeing and will get some of the strength and materials guys take a look at the samples they gave me.

My wife has never been thrilled about the idea of a plywood tank, but seemed a lot at easy after she took a look at the sample.

Again, I could build one strong tank out of plywood for a lot cheaper, but wonder if this would last a long time after a plywood tank would give out.

On a side note, the color is white. I really planned on a nice stained wood tank. Don't know how a white set up would look. Could be nice, or is could be ugly.

ScottXGTR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Biloxi MS
the sheets themselves are flexible as well. you wont notice the flex in a sample piece, but the 18' trim boards flex like crazy. it would work, but would require more bracing than pylwood.

i also sell azek at the lumber yard i work at. and it is expensive. ill look up my cost on it and let you know if thats a good deal.

ScottXGTR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Biloxi MS
pvc trim has always been expensive

my prices from a wholesaler are as follows:
1"x4'x8' = 137.83-164.85
1"x4'x10' = 173.02-206.94
1"x4'x12' = 208.72-249.78
1"x4'x20' = 347.06-415.37

the costs vary by region. florida being the cheapest, farther north being more expensive. Azek is a high margin item, normally with a 30-40% markup or so. if you get around the 20% markup area, youre getting a good deal.

he's charging you around 30-40% right now. if you can get him under $260 a sheet youll be getting a good deal. the key to that is not being a pain in his ass. the more run around you give him, the more he wants to get back at you by charging you more.

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
mick11;2359829; said:
The guy at the store said he has a customer that has used this to build fish tanks to transfer fish from his hatchery.
I have used a 12mm (1/2") Azek sheet product to build reptile enclosures. It is nice stuff. Compared to plywood it is easier to work with in some ways, harder in others. The stuff I used was not the same as their true exterior grade stuff. I think the exterior stuff is very similar except for the use of more UV inhibitors, which is what makes it more expensive.

The stuff I used is called Celtec 550 and it is a product made for the sign industry and is rated for some exterior use.

There are several of these "expanded PVC" products on the market. Sintra, Komacel, Celtec plus a few others. All consist of a foamed layer of PVC plastic sandwiched between two solid layers of PVC. This makes the material much lighter than solid PVC and also a bit more rigid since the design is basically a type of stressed skin structure. It is still pretty flexible, just not as flexible as a solid sheet would be.

Before I forget, it is possible the exterior product also has thicker skins than the sign product.

I believe Azeks trim boards are made from solid PVC.

All in all I would have to say I don't think the stuff would be a good idea for a large DIY tank. I think it's too flexible and if you managed to penetrate the solid PVC skin water would get into the cellular interior and could cause major problems.

I also think it is much too flexible from what I have seen.

One plastic product I do think would work well for tanks is a hollow core PVC planking made for the swine industry. It comes in 20' lengths and something like 21", 30" & 38" widths. Those widths are 7/8", 1.5" & 2" thick respectively. It would be more difficult to join into a tank structure than the Azek sheet goods but it would be much more rigid and much stronger when done. Tanks sizes would be limited compared to typical 4x8 sheet goods.

If anyone has anymore questions about these plastics, please let me know.

mick11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
St. Peters, MO
Thanks Guys for the info.

I think I will be going back to my original idea of the plywood.

Just thought this might work and wanted to research a little.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store