Yellow Lab Holding...are eggs fertilized?

BigPleco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2005
Markesan, WI
When a yellow lab is holding are the eggs fertilized or not? I have researched how to strip them, but can I do it right away. Also, can I just put her in a 10 gal and eventually the eggs will hatch? Basically, I just want to know if the eggs are fertilized, they are in her mouth.

Thank you!

Chris

ikevi

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Oregon
If there is a male lab with her, yes the likely are fertilized. I honestly would just let her be for at least a half a month. Then if you really want to strip her go ahead. (If she is getting beat up badly then go ahead and put her in a 10, but she might drop/eat her eggs from the move.)

Lady G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
Wisconsin
BigPleco;2367286; said:
When a yellow lab is holding are the eggs fertilized or not? I have researched how to strip them, but can I do it right away. Also, can I just put her in a 10 gal and eventually the eggs will hatch? Basically, I just want to know if the eggs are fertilized, they are in her mouth.

Thank you!

Chris
Yes, the eggs should be fertilized. You can put her in a 10 gal with no problems. I did that with my Jacob a while back when I had one. She held them for about 2 weeks. Labs may be a bit different in how they do things, but my Jacob held her eggs, and then held the babies for a while after they hatched. Once she released them though I took her out and put her back in the main tank.

Good luck;)

BigPleco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2005
Markesan, WI
Thanks for the quick replies...I think I will wait a week or so and then put her in the 10. There are 10 Yellow labs in my 125, so I would hope one would be male. I just tried stripping another one that was holding and the eggs got a fungus on them. I did strip the eggs right away though....there were 48 eggs! It was unreal...she is only 5" maybe. Thanks again for the responses!

Chris

Ransom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2006
Derbyshire / England
a 5" yellow lab?

hell ALL my labs are a only 2" - 3.5" what do you feed yours some super growth food?

i have a tank at home with about 12 or 13 yellows atm,
do yellow labs eat there young?

roombo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
Aberdeen NJ USA
I think any fry that will fit in the mouth of any Cichlid can be eaten eventually, parents or not. My Lab had fry last month with no intervention from me and around 5 of them look like they will make it. My Acei had fry last week, only 2 are left.

ikevi

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Oregon
Ransom;2367746; said:
a 5" yellow lab?

hell ALL my labs are a only 2" - 3.5" what do you feed yours some super growth food?

i have a tank at home with about 12 or 13 yellows atm,
do yellow labs eat there young?

I still have 2 males that are ~5-6 inches. You just need to give them a lot of time. (And they are in a 250 so maybe extra space helps too.) I hear some people had them ~7 inches, I can believe it since they keep growing till they die. (And 15 years of growing adds up.)

Captain Obvious

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2007
Iowa
I've always had better luck letting them hold than stripping right away. It lets them get the maternal instincts down better too...altho at that size I imagine it's not her first time.

Ransom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2006
Derbyshire / England
i just hope oneday i can get mine upto the 5" size or even larger, i have never breed my yellow labs yet but they have just moved into a 2.5foot tank from a 4foot with many many mixed cichlids so now 13yellows and 4fosso rosso cichlids

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store