NEVER release an aquarium fish into the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewurm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Introducing an aquarium fish to the wild, wether native or non-native is a cardinal sin for a fishkeeper. Even wild caught native fish can pick up non-native disease in your tank that you could be unleashing upon the native ecological system. A non-native introduction is even worse. Non-native species compete with native fish for food and habitat, eat native fish eggs, and even destroy habitat all together. Non-native species that have caused significant problems include many species of carp, zebra mussels, the round goby, the spiny water flea, and species of snakeheads just to name a few. The introduction of snakeheads to native waters has caused the ban of ALL species of Channa to be banned from the United States. These beautiful monsters are no longer allowed to be kept in aquariums. There is also a sustained population of goldfish in the mississippi river and although they don't cause much of a problem, they give DNR officials ammo in trying to ban more species of fish that you and I keep. NEVER RELEASE YOUR FISH OR INVERTEBRATES INTO THE WILD. I hate to say it but euthanizing your fish is actually a better option than letting them go. I choose neither. If there is a fish I absolutely cannot keep anymore, I sell it or give it to another fish keeper that will provide a good home. I hope you will do the same.

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
yeah people that do this mess ***** up for all of us

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
it would be better to nail their heads to a pole then snap them in half with brute force... than to release them into the wild

Reactions: 9876nmb

Hakon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
Son, Norway
Yeah I agree. I read about a fish from an aquaria was found in the ocean or something... Not good.

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
wooooooo! go ewurm, i agree with you and the rest of the ppl on here

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I am definitely with you on this one.

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
Agreed, this is why Australia has banned just about all fish for importation.

They want to prevent it from ever happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store