neochromis breeding

blatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
torquay, devon, !!ENGLAND!!
rite, i was seperating some of my neochromis omnicaeralius fry from some other fry because i wanted to start breeding them, but my question is what would be best for breeding as im pretty sure that i got bassically an all female mouthful first time and then an all male mouthful secound time would you suggest breeding these together, i also have another batch that are still with the mother at about 1cm in size, and then 1 adult pair, now what would you suggest for breedingthe young ones, id also like to mention that these fish are very very near imposible to get from this specific place(kuene is.) as far as i no there is only 1 more group in the country of young ones and these were sold by the previous owner.
at the moment i have 8 normal gold blotch females and then 4 normal stripey males then 1 more blotch male and they are about 1"

LadyBarbara001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I can't give you much of an answer on this. I have Neochromis, but my varient is Ruti Island. From what I have heard said, inbreeding Vics is not nearly as a "bad thing" as doing it to...let's say Tangs. It was one of the questions I had when I first got interested in Vics, and the response seemed to be, if you can vary the line, do so, but if not, it's not that big of a deal with Vics. I don't know from personal experience, but that's the best answer I have.

LadyBarbara001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I went to a lecture by Paul Loiselle, and the gist was....vary the blood line as often as you can, but there is enough genetic material in the fish to do OK. Breed as much as you can, with as many different parents as you can, and keep breeding that way. He didn't seem overly concerned with the inbreeding aspect.

Hope this helps.

LadyBarbara001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
San Antonio, TX
And on this topic, my Neochromis Omnicaeruleus released free swimming fry today. I've never seen smaller babies...she seems to be a good mom; I am the threat to her, so whenever I approach she gathers them back up. Was 12 days from spawn to free swimming fry. I plan to let her keep the babies until she won't accept them back into her mouth, and then move her back to the main tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store