largemouth bass??

lucky03602

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2006
alstead, nh
okay first off im a complete noob to this forum. 2nd of all i havent searched yet cuz im trying to get rid of that stupid red banner that reads " you havent posted yet why not do it today"

i will be searching but for now

would you consider largemouth bass a monster fish or no, and has anyone tried to keep a largemouth bass in their home aquarium?

i plan on possibly trying this spring after i catch a small one somehow haha.

slammer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2006
Kentucky
www.shootersville.net
LMB are a definate monster. They get very large, they eat anything up to half their size, they are territorial, and to top it off very cool! They are also very easy to catch! The downside is rapid growth and they need an excellant filtration system.

Slam

lucky03602

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2006
alstead, nh
well so far i have a 55L for filtration i got a whisper 30-60 and a aquaclear 70 for it. i got a 150w heater for the 2 suckers, 1 tiger oscar and 1 channel cat.

im assuming ill have to get rid of the heater for the bass or maybe i can get him acclimated to it?

also i am an avid fisherman, not that good but i love fishing and i know bass like shadows and hiding spots so ill have to work with that somehow.

one more thing, how do i subscribe to threads so i dont have to go back thru them all and see if i can remember which ones im on and see if theres any replys?

lucky03602

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2006
alstead, nh
okay figured out tha subscription thing. thx anyways

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Yup...bass are monsters. They are not really hard to keep but they do grow very large and thus require a large tank and excellent filtration. I suggest if you want something like a bass but smaller to look into sunfish such as rock bass, bluegill and greens. This site actually has a sub-forum that deals with coldwater fish and U.S. native such as bass, perch, bullhead etc. Check it out.

chris13-4.jpg

gone.jpg

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Yeah if you are goning to get a LMB get a big tank. A local sporting good store has some in a 220gl and they look huge in that thing so go big. Plus you will need a bigger tank for the channel cat in the future anyways.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
These are great fish to keep.

lucky03602

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2006
alstead, nh
well i dont plan on keeping the fish forever to be honest, plan is to get one and keep it for a while, until its too big for the tank, then put it back into lake and do it all again

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
lucky03602 said:
well i dont plan on keeping the fish forever to be honest, plan is to get one and keep it for a while, until its too big for the tank, then put it back into lake and do it all again

NEVER release an aquarium inhabitant into the wild. It is not legal. See my other thread.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Yeah, not generally a good idea. If you know someone with a private isolated pond you could put it there but it is far to risky introducing it into the wild where it will come in contact with other fish. You never know what a bass could pick up in captivity that you would not find in the wild. That is why I suggested the smaller species, you could keep them for life.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store