Cyphotilapia Frontosa and Gibberosa

TPS reports

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2007
virginia beach
I've been considering getting a front for some time now.
From what I've been told, they are very slow growers, relatively calm cichlids and can get get pretty big.

Just wondering about anyones experience and knowledge.
If you have any pictures, post 'em up!

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
check out the forums stickys....but yes, really slow growers.

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
Frontosa's are an African cichlid.

Gage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2008
Canada
they are pretty laid back yes, but they are very piscivorous, meaning they eat live fish as a main diet in the wild, so no small fish with them (do not feed feeders)

they are very slow growers, they grow an OK rate till 6" or so, then they slow down dramatically.

males attain 15".

dont have any pics of mine as of now, but they are only babies anyway, not to impressive.

frontosablkrhom

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2008
new jersey
they are really slow growers...slow but my all time favorite fish. it took about a year and 2 months for my alpha male to hit 6 inches here he is. with his ladies.

IMG_4355.JPG

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Yes frontosas do grow slow. You need a 125gal or larger tank to house them. Mine grew from 1inch to 8ish or so inches in 3 years. I dont know if they all grow that slow, but yes they do grow slow.

They are pretty calm and can be skiddish. They will eat smaller fish and I would agree with not feeding them feeders. I feed mine new life spectrum. My larger ones are on lfs thera A 3mm sinking pellets, my babys are on nls 1mm sinking pellets. I also feed live brine shrimp once in a blue moon, usually I got them for the smaller ones they just dont eat them all so I split them in between tanks. Frozen foods I feed include spriulina brine shrimp and krill.

Below: Larger fronts: 3 fronts I have now 2 burundi and a 7 stripe.
Smaller fronts: 11 f1 frontosa 'kigoma'

S5000093.JPG

S5000100.JPG

S5001841.JPG

S5003941.JPG

S5003929.JPG

kay-bee

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Tampa, FL
Mine went from about 1" to about 5" or 6" in their first year (then perhaps an inch or two annually after that), which means they grew faster than many of my lake malawi mbuna's. Tiny frontosa fry will be big fish in 3 years and are nowhere near full grown by then.

In my opinion they're slow growers from the perspective of how long it takes for them to attain full size (12"+). They're slow growers when compared to fish which can pack on an inch per month.

Slow swimming, careful fish (though capable of short bursts of speed when required). Can easily be intimidated by more aggressive fish, including fish that they happen to dwarf.

Of all the african cichlids I own (some from each of the great rift lakes), my frontosa's are the only ones that don't fully trust me. They'd sooner hide from me than rush to the side of the tank and beg for food. In many ways the seem to retain a 'wild caught' aura which adds to their intrigue.

Marius

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Deep water piscivorous Cichlid from Lake Tanganyika. They live in colonies in the wild and one will get the best of his or her fish if kept in similar conditions.

Avoid using jagged rocks for the aquarium scape, frontosas can get seriously injured as they "dart" for cover. Smooth rock, or just plain open space is preferable. Schools of at least 12 individuals, preferably 1/3 male to female ratio ..in a minimum 180gal tank.

Tankmates? Altolamprologus Compressiceps, Calvus; Neolamprologus Sexfasciatus; Lobochilotes Labiatus; Ctenochromis Horeii ...and if you want a more exhaustive response PM me ...never go for silver, sardine like medium/large fish, so no Cyprichromis species, Haplotaxodon Microlepis, nor Bentochromis species (Tricoti or Melanoides).

Oh... feeding regimen: sinking pellets exclusively. You don't want your frontosas to come to the surface and "GULP" for their food. That's how one of the deadliest afflictions develop, it is called FLOAT and it is caused by the air caught in the Frontosa's innards. Deadly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store