growth question

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I was just curious. I ve had my datnoid for pretty much 3 years. I had him when he was an inch or so and he is maybe 4-5 inches now. I know they grow slow, but I was curious if that is really how slow the grow?

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Depends on tank size, filtration, diet, species, etc....

Yours does seem slower then normal.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
He is your normal indo tiger dat (or thats how he was id when I frist bought him). He was in a 30 at an inch he grew so he then went to 55 when he was 2-3ish inches then at 3-4 or so inches he went to the 150 and now a 180. I guess he is prob more between 5-6inches I am bad I sizeing fish but he really hasn't grown a lot in 3 years lol. His diet varys he eats nls sinking pellets, frozen krill, brineshrimp and blood worms, freeze dried krill, live ghost shrimp and sometimes other random things I would feed my fish here and there.

I dont have a recent picture but this was him when he was in the 55 right before he went into the 150gal.

What is a good diet for these guys? I just randomly fed him what I fed my cichlids which is what is listed above. Do they start to grow slower (or faster) once they reacha certian size?

dat.JPG

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Growth rate can vary greatly, but yours does seem slower than the norm. What i've notice in my communities in the past is that the non-agressive feeders grow the slowest.

I've had good growth with a varied diet, but high protein pellets as the staple.

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Ash;2419690; said:
Do they start to grow slower (or faster) once they reacha certian size?
They slow down the larger they get.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
thanks for the info guys! =]

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
Seems a little slow to me. Make sure he gets enough food during feedings. They can eat a surprising amount of food, maybe fill him up on somthing "meatier" like MP, and make sure his stomach is bulging a little during the feedings. If you have the patience, stuff the MP with some food sticks or pellets for extra nutrition. That should bulk him up a little, he looks a little on the thin side. GL with him Ash ;)

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I had a few that started at 1.5" and all of them grew at a different rate growing from 3"-5" in a year.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store