Eheim Pro 2 leaking

Jmatz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
Wa
Hi all,

I have an Eheim Pro 2 that will not stop leaking from the primer pump o-ring seal. I cleaned and lubed the o-ring, then ended up replacing the o-ring anyways due to it still leaking. I have tried not using the priming pump so not to disturb the seal and countless other things, but to no avail. From start to finish the timeline goes as follows, I fill the filter fill the hoses, plug in the filter, siphon the outlet hose to get it flowing then... hold my breath for about 5 minutes where like clockwork water slowly starts dribbling out from the handle on the lid where the extension chord comes out of. I have read other forums and heards the inlet and outlet stubs on the pump housing can begin to leak as well but this is not the case, I am dead certain it is coming from the primer pump o-ring. With all said does anyone have any advice or maybe has personally ran into the same problem. i was thinking just now something might be blocked causing pressure to build past the o-rings pressure rating, but it pumps out water and draws in water just fine... Well, many thanks in advance for reading and any advice.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
read HERE. Same problem?

Jmatz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
Wa
Sadly no, The gasket coming in contact with the lid and the canister itself is in perfect working condition. I had originaly thought this to be the problem as well. You say you had an eheim pro, right? The large red O-ring sealing the priming pump, Uhhh, "button" it is leaking out from around that, into the lid. Then once the inside of the lid fills it starts pouring out where the cord comes out. I am 100% positive it is this, so I caked on plumbers lube to the exterior portion of the o-ring and sure enough once I disasembled the lid after five minutes of use I could see where the water had pushed through the caked on lubricant. I Bought a new O-ring and the same problem has persisted. All LFS have no repair experience and I am out of warranty. The new O-ring should have fixed it, but since it didn't and it is still leaking I am totally at a loss as of what to do, also no deformations or gouges in the "piston wall" where the primer button pushes into. I am already into this money wise and it is by no means a cheap filter, I have to be doing something wrong or have missed something... Thank you for the link though I do appreciate it, but please more idea's.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

I had the original professionel, i.e. I not II. The priming mechanism is the difference. Thus, I could comment on the lid but not on the primer :(

To sum up your problems: No visible damage to the lid in the area where it leaks. New O-ring. Still leaking. Right?

Have you checked the primer button itself?

This might sound like trivial advice, but have you taken apart the whole pump, including the impeller unit, and thoroughly cleaned it with small brushes? Does the pressure hose allow ample water flow? Compare with the manual that you have all parts in the right place. Sounds like you are building up excess pressure in a place where it shouldn't be. :confused:

HarleyK

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
There's two things I can think of to try.
1st, make sure the priming button is fully retracted (all the way up). You are going to have to open the filter for this one. See if the problem goes away. If it does, you need to slightly stretch the 4 springs for the priming button in the canister head the next time you have it open for maintenance. I had to do that on mine after I changed the primer o-ring & it was still leaking.

2nd, there is a possibility that the flow meter sight glass o-ring is damaged & the water is leaking into the head cavity. Again, you have to dis-assemble the canister head to verify this.

Let us know if you find a solution for this.

EheimSucks

Feeder Fish
Feb 26, 2013
United States
I bought the Pro 3 2075 brand new in Sept 2012 that came with a 3 year warranty. The filter leaked after 2 years destroying my $350 wooden stand. Water leaked out near the power cord. After searching the net I found out that this was a common issue among Pro 3 filters made before Aug 2010. There have also been countless reports of Eheim's Customer Support department ignoring customer emails when contacted for warranty claims.

I emailed them and immediately the next day I received a reply asking for the Serial number, the shipping address and the retail store from which I bought the filter. I replied with the information and that was the last I heard from them. I have sent them 4 more emails since then and they completely ignored them. I have been another victim of their scam.

Apparently Eheim is engaging in fraudulent acitivities, marketing their filters as "Premium" products that come with a 3 year warranty. However, they will try their best NOT to honor the warranty. Maybe I need to call them everyday and write nasty letters to get them to acknowledge my issue. I know some of their victims have received a replacement head unit this way after sending threatening emails and making repeated phone calls. However, it shouldn't have to be this difficult.

I have another Pro 2 filter that also leaked after 6 years of operation. From what I have heard, the company was bought and the quality of customer service has become horrible since then. It is now reaching the point of fraud.

I will never buy another Eheim product again. Beware!!!

oscarman2003

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2008
Baltimore
For any one havering the oring issue got to advanced auto parts auto zone and get an oil filter housing oring kit to Gm vehicles usually in the help section the oring is in there. You can also go to the Gm dealership and get a oil filter housing oring for a 96' a 2002 5.7 liter motor. 5$

Dc5

Feeder Fish
Oct 15, 2015
Don't know if this been solved yet but here's my 2 cent.

I was having the same issue too with the leaks from the power head to the cord. I was baffled on how it was still leaking and I ran a test on it with the cover off. What I found was that the leak was coming off from the Flow Indicator which was slowly leaking.

To solve the problem, I went to my local Home Depot and bought DAP Waterproof Aquarium Safe SIlicone. It resolved my issue. The gasket of the Flow indicator is probably worn out and it's hard to find a replacement so the best option is to silicone it. No leaks so far after silicone the Flow Indicator.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store