very picky datnoid..

dandaman352

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
Brooklyn, New York
Hey guys I've had my Dat for like 4 months now. He hasen't really grown but he has a little bulk on him. He's really picky with food and will only eat freeze dried krill, or feeders. Sometimes he will eat bloodworms. He won't touch any hikari pellets or anything like that. I've tried using that garlic guard or entice stuff on the food but to no avail. Just curious what I can feed him that will help his growth rate out. He's in a 75 gallon, I have extremely good filtration (rena xp3 and eheim 2215) , heater, etc.

AddictedToMbus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
malaysia
try not feeding it couple days n just keep introducing the foodsticks
it hard with having only 1 dat
if you had more, more chances that one of the dats will try it and the rest will just follow right after

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
All you would need to do is offer nothing but the food you want it to accept. The fish will starve itself until it finally gives in.

I use this method all the time. I offer only frozen and pellet foods and eventually they get hungry enough.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
dandaman352;2431876; said:
Hey guys I've had my Dat for like 4 months now. He hasen't really grown but he has a little bulk on him. He's really picky with food and will only eat freeze dried krill, or feeders. Sometimes he will eat bloodworms. He won't touch any hikari pellets or anything like that. I've tried using that garlic guard or entice stuff on the food but to no avail. Just curious what I can feed him that will help his growth rate out. He's in a 75 gallon, I have extremely good filtration (rena xp3 and eheim 2215) , heater, etc.
My dats like to eat the same thing as yours....Try night crawlers mine will eat them also but the krill and feeders is what they like the most. Pellets they just dont want to touch but i know people do get them on them but by starving. GL

dandaman352

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
Brooklyn, New York
Ok guys. I'm going to try it. Today was his first day without krill, I also won't put in bloodworms into the tank since he eats those to. So I'm gonna keep shoving pellets down in the tank till he gives in. Incase he's way to stubborn and DOSENT take to the pellets how long till I give in and put krill back in? Or should I not? Again he's my favorite damn fish its just expensive and a hassel when all he eats is krill or feeders you know?

PS: thanks for all the advice guys. I'll keep you guys updated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store