My first attempt at sand....

Bre

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Denver, CO
I just changed over my 16 gallon Calvus/Comp growout tank to sand...Here are some pics. Also, what do I need to know about taking care of this? I am going to change over my 90 but with as long as this took I will need a whole day to do it. Any tips on the easiest way to do this? I can already tell I love it...The 16 used to be blah but just the change over made an awesome difference. I love the look of this tank now!!! Any new tanks will be set up wih sand from the start.

LadyBarbara001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Looks really good. The only differences is you will have to learn how to gravel sweep again...without picking up sand. It doesn't take very long to learn. About once a month you need to give your sand a good stir, to remove any dead spots.

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
looks great, i was happy when i went with sand hope u will be too :D

Bre

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Denver, CO
woofy;2433483; said:
looks great, i was happy when i went with sand hope u will be too :D

Well, I haven't had to clean it yet so we'll see...I do already love the look though...It is amazing how such a small change can make such a huge difference.

LadyBarbara001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
San Antonio, TX
The other thing I've found is that there is a lot more "playing' in the sand...moving it, rolling in it, sifting it, rather than gravel. Seems like the fish really like it better too.

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
yep, i agree. fishes love to play in the sand. Get a couple of shelldwellers in there, you'll love the tank even more.....:grinno:

Bre

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Denver, CO
Can they go with Calvus and Comps? That is a good idea if they can go together for a while because I'm sure there are some shelldwellers out there that could stay there for life. Any recomendations? The Calvus and Comps are tiny right now...Maybe an inch a piece and will eventually go into a bigger tank.

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
I personally like Ocellatus shelldwellers and have them with my calvus/comps. You can put almost all of the shelldwellers with calvus/comps. Just remember that shelldwellers are pretty aggressive when protecting their shell. All they will do is chase other fishes away from their shell. Its pretty interesting watching them, you'll get hooked on them.......:grinno:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store