10 gallon- Reworked

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
i had horrible problems with alge in my 10 gallon.. this crazy red stuff that would NOT die..

let the tank run dark for about a month and FINALLY killed off all the algea.. some of the cheatomorph is still alive somehow, as is a bit of the coralline. of course all the coral i couldn't get out is dead (shrooms and a xenia)

my hermits, snails, and pistol shrimp all survived well enough and my hermit actually molted today.

i got a yellow watchman yesterday and he and the shrimp are already at work undermining the rocks.

any suggestions as to what to keep?
i was thinking either a royal gramma or some kind of dottyback

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
anybody?

im thinking maybe scrap the whole 10 gallon and ghet like a 6-8 gallon all-in-one cube tank. just keeping the shrimp and goby and totally reefing the hel out of the tank...

ANYbody have ANYthing to say?

Stingray12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Saranac Lake, NY
get one of those 12 gallon biocubes , Im really liking my aquapod. Today I found a sea slug on the rock.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
i would stay away from biocubes based on my experience with the 29 gallon i have
i was thinking more of a JBJ or aquapod

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
Man i just said f it and restarted my 10 gallon so nothing but a molly and crabs and snails. The hair algae is outragous and so are apitstasia but kalkweisser is working a sea cucumber would help with the red algae had the same problem and over night it was gone.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
well there's a bunch o' hair algea now. im going to svae it off and grab a few sally's.. the emerald just aren't doing it anymore

skene

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
NYC
Well there is a difference between algae and cyanobacteria. Not everything will eat it. So you have to be a bit more specific with what you are trying to describe.

I like my 6 gal JBJ. Just remember to stay on top of the tank maintenance and watch your parameters... that's my only advice to you.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
well it's dead and gone now.. it was a read macro algae.. i had a link to it but i lost it over time.. but it was definitely not cyano..

water params were always pretty goodf, but i think i've isolated the variable.. the foods i was feeding were pretty high in phostphates.. i've since stopped using them and aside from uping the photo period (to regrow the coralline) and thus getting a good bloom of hair algea, stuff seems back in order..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store