Datnioides undecimradiatus questions

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
I got a gold tiger fish as my very first datnioides. This is my first Dat so I read the limited info that I could before I got it but now have some more questions.

The Dat is currently extremely shy and will not come out at all. It hides in a piece of drift wood all day and night. The tank is a 220g with a large sump and several south american cichlids. They are nothing aggressive (chocolate, severum, uaru, and oscar) and they have shown zero aggression toward the dat. It just refuses to come out. It has also refused to eat anything so I broke down and gave it some feeders out of fear of it starving to death. I did not want this expensive fish to starve even though I really want it to start eating frozen krill or shrimp. It did however quickly devour any feeder that went anywhere near it's drift wood.

What should I do? I have a 45g I can setup and keep it alone in to try to get it to eat. The current fish in the 220g quickly devour all food I put in there and the dat just won't come out to eat any of it. Are there any other foods that I should try. I have tried krill, pellets, flakes, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and plankton.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
J.D.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
How big are the tankmates? The Dats I have are much smaller than the rest of the tankmates and they are shy as well...the smaller tank for growout might be the answer, if you can put them in alone...

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
all tigers are the same if you give them hiding places they will use them

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
There is a mix of all sizes ranging from 4 inches (the Dat and 2 young severums) up to 13 inches. I assume the Dat is wild caught and is just not used to tank life yet. Are most Dats wild caught? Will it get less shy as it grows and gets older?

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Dats are shy for the most part especially NTT. If it is small and recently added to the tank, that will make it even more timid.

I would go with your thought of throwing it in the 45 till you get it off feeders.

Also, these guys grow very slow, and when that oscar starts getting bigger, you may have a problem.

GL.

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to give it another week and see if it will start eating. If not I'll setup the 45g and start working on getting him on frozen food with some sort of trainer fish in there with the dat.

As for the oscar it is full grown (13 inches) and in completely non aggressive toward tankmates. So don't expect it to be a problem but it can be moved on down the road if need be.

Thanks again,
jgentry

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
They sure will use anything for cover...I have one that tries to hide behind a thermistor and wire hanging on my thermometer...If his eyes are behind the wire he is cool...Funny fishes these DaT's are...

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Your oscar will eventually become a problem and the NTT will always be out competed for food.
Put in the 45 G straight away, and maybe add a few more tigers. Grow them all up and then put them in your big tank.

In general, most MFK's agree NTT are slightly shier than other tigers. But I just bought 2 nr. 7.5 inch NTT (thin bars), put them in tank with 9 other tigers, and wihin 1 day they were eating frozen prawn and lance fish! hooray. They also amongst my most active an UN-Shy of all my tigers.

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
Ade;2475421; said:
Your oscar will eventually become a problem and the NTT will always be out competed for food.
Put in the 45 G straight away, and maybe add a few more tigers. Grow them all up and then put them in your big tank.
:iagree:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store