Crazy Acei

roombo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
Aberdeen NJ USA
After 30 seconds into feeding my fish last night one of my Acei went head first into the sand substrate and plowed himself in a good 1.5 inches. After he backed out he floated on his back on the bottom and appeared to be shock. I needed to go to sleep and didn’t have time to check on him this morning, what’s up with that? Also, my Acei were always a nice solid purple in color, as of last night (all of a sudden) they have pronounce veridical dark stripes on them. They look great, but what happened? They have already bred once around a month ago; they are around five moths old. Thanks..

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
wow i have no idea. maybe he was trying to dig his way to China and gave up.

kidding.

id say he was stressed if he is showing a different shade of color and barring. watch the tank and see if there is an aggressor in there. and as i always say, check your water parameters just to see if ammonia, nitrite and nitrates are off.

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
yes sounds lik stres. check all the mentioned by navygirl. Something either spooked him or your water params are off.

roombo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
Aberdeen NJ USA
He appears to be ok now. The water is all in spec (.5 rate, 0 rite, 8 ph, 0 am). I noticed that the water temp is dipping a little now at night, maybe down to 73-74 then back to 78 during the day (two stealth 200 watt). The colors are still strange. The largest one retained the verical stripes, one is extreamly dark and the rest look normal. I don't see any aggression, everyone looks good, no nips or missing fins. Thanks for all the input.

roombo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
Aberdeen NJ USA
Has anyone ever seen an Acie with pronounce vertical strips during stress or breeding? Could it be a weak hybrid? I got them a reputable lfs. I take some pic's a post this weekend. thanks

roombo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
Aberdeen NJ USA
Here is a pic

100_2339.JPG

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
hmm i have 2 full grown aceis in my 180 gallon community and i dont think ive ever seen barring on them-but mine are a deep/dark purple. they do turn a little paler in color when stressed sometimes, but have never seen that barring. other ppl on here may have a different experience though..

could just be the strain of fish.. they look healthy.

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
baring does worry a bit on purity, but it could be stress. When I lost a white tail it had the barring after death. So it could be stressed a bit. Being at the top maybe due to being chased often!

roombo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
Aberdeen NJ USA
Yea, watching tonight i noticed my male kenni is busting chops, he might be going for a ride to the country if he keeps it up.. thanks mike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store