Fire Eel & Fahaka Puffer

SinCalRyder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
Hello all,

This is my first post on here, I have been checking out the forum for several months and learning lots of new things. My question for you guys now is regarding beign able to possibly put my Fire Eel and Fahaka Puffer in the same tank together. The Fire eel is roughly 24" and is in a 60 gallon aquarium with a pletco and an electric blue chiclid. The chiclid is probably leaving as he is getting fairly agressive. The eel is really laid back and doesnt bother other fish at all, even when the chiclid is picking on it. Now my fahaka Puffer is up to about 5 inchs, and I got him at about 2 inch. He is in a 35 gallon tank so I know I need to upgrade him soon. He eats freeze dried shrip from my hand, and also small snails when I give them to him. I recently tried giving him feeder fish and he befriended them instead of eating them. So I am really interested in putting the Fire Eel ( named Eelvis ) and my Puffer ( rafael ) in the same tank. Any ideas on trying this out, good, bad, etc....

Thanks in advance.

tigerlover2006

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2007
Singapore
Should be alright!

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
I've never tried it but there's only one way to find out. I would put them together at the beginning of the day and check up on them thru out the day to see if they are fine. I'm sure they are gonna be fine together. The only thing I would be worried about is the puffer nipping at the eel.

Caoboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Modesto CA
Your Fahaka will eventually start to harass your eel, and any other tank mates. Eventually you will have to separate or risk losing your fish.

tigerlover2006

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2007
Singapore
That is a beautiful fire eel!

SinCalRyder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
Thank you, found him by accident. Had a lil 30 gallon aquarium and was looking for something nice to go in it at my local dealer. By chance that morning someone dropped off this Eel due to the fact they had 2 and the other one was getting agressive. Luckily the shop owner held him till I could find a bigger tank adn get it set up =)

synodontisjack

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
England, London
Fahakas are notoriousley aggresive but very few manage to mix them with with other fish, i've got a fire eel with an mbu and its fine. They tend to ignore small fast moving fish but i think the fahaka will eventualy end up doing some damage to the fire eel

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
I think you need a bigger tank. Fahakas get big and aren't nice. (nice looking though :))

SinCalRyder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
Yeah tank size is going to be an issue, but I had planned on getting him in atleast a 60 by january, then push for a 120. Gonna go get some new sand for the Eels tank in a few and make it half rock half sand then go ahead and put my fahaka in there with him. Then I plan on spending the rest of the day in front of the tank observing to see what happens. Wish me luck =)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store