Breeding Ghost Shrimp Setup

Zinq

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
Canada
So after a bunch of talk I finally got the chance to take a couple of pictures of my ghost Shrimp Breeding setup.

Equipment:
1. 10 Gal
2. Air Stone
3. Bubbler
4. Compact Fluorescent light bulb
5. Heater (set 82C)

Plants/Animals:
1. Java Fern (unplanted and just goes wherever)
2. Duckweed
3. 4 females Ghosties/2 Male (initially)
4. Bunch of Ramshorn snails

The water is probably somewhat hard (due to alot of snail shells on the ground) but I dunno, I don't feel like buying a test kit for it...or pH... or nitrates... or anything for that matter.

Breeding/Conditioning:
Just feed them daily. I use Hikari Crab Cuisine with some variation now and then when I feel like it. Happy females seem to constantly have eggs both developping within and under their swimmerettes. I personally don't seperate the females into other tanks when breeding, for two reasons: it stresses them out and they don't eat the babies anyways.

Larvae survival:
You'll find these mini upside down babies somewhere floating in the water column usually near an area with not too turbulent water. Typically near the surface or near the bottom. Note: I have never observed any tendency to be drawn towards light despite many articles and the whole smashing into windows to suicide thing.

They will usually only survive for maximum of 1 to 2 days without specific feeding. So try to feed them food for 2-3 days (or until u dont see anymore floating babies, either they died or they're post larvae). Ideally, feeding baby brine shrimp would be food. But I'm lazy so I just feed frozen ones or any other small foods I have accessible, though survival rate drops dramatically. (Microworms should also work) They will grab the food and munch away. If they aren't then your either feeding too early (they don't seem to eat for the first 1/2 to 1 day, i'm not sure the exact timing) or they don't like the food.

Post-Larvae stage:
Once they get past the larval stage your good to go. Just feed as normal (crab cuisine or etc) and they'll grow up ...eventually...They grow at the blinding speed of very slow. It's probably slower for me because I slack off alot on water changes but hey... I have better things to do. If your worried their being outcompeted for food you can crush up some of the food and they'll find it.

Now for some pics.

Enjoy
PS My camera skills are limited for such miniature beings so bear with me.

Adult female + 2nd generation shrimp.JPG

Berried female, notice the eggs under her and those inside her -head-.JPG

Different berried female + massive snail grave + green snail poop as substrate.JPG

Mother off center to the left and baby shrimp swimming around.JPG

Post-Larval Shrimp + semi adult underneath.JPG

Setup.JPG

Somewhat Closeup of setup.JPG

Massive amounts of Duckweed that I can't remove because I always grab babies along the way.JPG

r3d

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 5, 2008
[|x_O|]
good info

olga21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2008
SE Texas
Thanks a lot for the info! I am going to go get my java moss, and shrimp today. I will just ask the lfs store what they feed theres. I think I am all set to go and will post my pics when I get the shrimp. Thanks again!

Zinq

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
Canada
Troytroy;2454535; said:
i didnt c a filter in the list. dont they need a filter? thats good if they dont i can start tomorow breeding them.
Ideally a filter would be nice but I never bothered using one. I just let the massive amounts of duckweed deal with any nitrate/nitrite/ammonia that they produce. BUT be forewarned that a sponge filter with the bubbler would probably be better than what I'm doing now. AND don't overfeed massively at the beginning, it'll probably be a bit harsh on ur shrimp, unless you precycled ur filter.

Only problem with duckweed though is that they all hide in there and netting it out is VERY difficult without netting out some of the babies.

kiokie72006;2454793; said:
Thats cool,how big do they get? Can you use them for bigger cichlids?
In terms of size...they get about 1 to 1.25 inches max. But they do grow really really slowly, to give an approximate value it's about 3-4 months to reach maturity for me. I'm assuming that under more ideal conditions, it would take them 1-2 months (such as single baby shrimp that survived in my guppy tank). It's probably cuz i slack on water changes since i'm lazy. If you really want to feed your fish consistently with shrimp then I'd recommend just buying them. I just like breeding them for fun and the occasional treat.

olga21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2008
SE Texas
Hey, I got my ghost shrimp today and a handfull of java moss. Is it ok to use granulated pellets instead of flake? Also, is where do I get food for the fry are baby shrimp? You said u use brine but where can I get that, and what does it look like?

Zinq

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
Canada
olga21;2457951; said:
Hey, I got my ghost shrimp today and a handfull of java moss. Is it ok to use granulated pellets instead of flake? Also, is where do I get food for the fry are baby shrimp? You said u use brine but where can I get that, and what does it look like?
I use pellets and flakes. Just vary the diet and the shrimp will be happy. I found that they also like to graze on algae, I threw in a giant handfull of hair algae that was infesting my planted tanks and eventually the whole mass just disappeared. So the occasional algea wafer or just plain regular algae will also do.

Regarding brine shrimp, just google baby brine shrimp or baby brine shrimp hatchery. You'll get a wealth of information. Here's a start: (I just googled these)

http://ng.netgate.net/~jlatham/Hatch.html
http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/hatchingartemia.html

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store