Treating Wounds on Gars

miss__kp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Australia
Hi, in need of some expert oppinions here :)

My spotted gar managed to run head first into my egg crate divider (my fault) and as he reversed himself out he's lifted his gill cover slightly and damaged the clear filament around it. This happened two nights ago.

It's looking a little better however it's still quite red and lifted, I have been using aquarium salt and tropical almond leaves and doing regular water changes.

What's considered safe antibacterial medications for these guys? I have triple sulphur and some melafix here or is it better to keep using the salt?

I'm hoping to get it back to normal asap, so any advice is appreciated!

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
do not use meds with gar. keep him isolated, bump the temp and carry on with salt. make sure he keeps eating and he'll be fine.:)

ps: how big is the fish, tank size, and tankmates?

miss__kp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Australia
Tank size is 3' x 18" x 15", he's by himself now as I removed the egg crate and the other tank mates. Gar size is about 10cm if not slightly larger.

I've got the temp set at 26 degrees C and I've been adding a small amount of salt daily. He seems to be eating well and so I've kept the tank stocked with feeders and he's still active.

Should the temp go any higher?

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
sounds fine. not necessary. but higher temps(28/29degC) can initiate quicker growth and recovery rates. try and get him off live when he gets to 8", and a larger tank is going to be needed soon, assuming you dont already know this. other wise, sounds good, wish you the best of luck with him:)

miss__kp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Australia
Thanks very much for the advice :) I'll keep an eye on him and continue with the salt and water changes.

Eventually he has a 350 gal to go into (I have two at present) so I'll just keep ugrading him through my smaller tanks until he's ready for that.

What's the best way to get them off live feeders?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
you should be in good shape if you follow the posts so far. make sure not to add salt unless you are doing water changes...i.e. if you change 50% of the water, just make sure to add enough salt to make up for the difference in water volume, don't continuously add salt every day for a week or anything like that.

a good concentration is about 1tbsp salt (non-iodized is best) per 20 gallons of water. gars are quite resilient fishes, so they heal up pretty quickly on their own. meds should generally not be used with these fishes unless absolutely necessary (and repairing damage is generally not one of those cases).--
--solomon

miss__kp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Australia
Thanks for the very helpful advice, The gill cover is still a little red but is improving well and I've raised the temp to 28 Deg C.

What a truly amazing fish, fascinating to watch and is fast becomming a favourite.

Once again thanks for the help, I'll endeavour to post some pics once he is on the mend. :)

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
All of the advice given above sounds great! I have used these methods in the past with great results. Just continue to do your regular waterchanges and things should turn out great.

Do you know what species of gar you have or could you post some pics? Being in Canada I am just curious as to what you may have.

Thanks,

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
demjor19;2458328; said:
All of the advice given above sounds great! I have used these methods in the past with great results. Just continue to do your regular waterchanges and things should turn out great.

Do you know what species of gar you have or could you post some pics? Being in Canada I am just curious as to what you may have.

Thanks,
i'm always interested in seeing pics too. for reference, canada gets the same gars we do...and then some, since they have a much easier time getting Cuban gars--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store