Dispersing aggression amongst Tang cichlid colonies

chrisngo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
How do you guys disperse the aggression amongst your tangs? I have a colony of Tropheus that has one aggressor that is stressing the others and a colony of Callochromis that is doing the same thing. I provide plenty of rockwork for them to hide amongst.

I just went out and found a Callochromis trying to bury himself amongst some rocks. He was definitely stuck. I moved the rock and he was laying semi-lifeless. I put him in a tupperware container with holes in it and he is now rapidly breathing inside of it. It has holes for water flow. I don't think he's gonna make it through the night. He's wild caught too if that helps with an answer. I also just performed a 10% water change.

Chris

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
You will have to remove all the rocks so they can't fight for territory or remove the aggressive fish. Usually when there is a aggressive fish he is trying to fight for dominance or mating. He will try to kill off other males and even females. Just remove all the rocks and keep an eye on them.

chrisngo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
Damn! That's gonna suck. But I understand. Will they still breed?

Do you think a few rocks in there just strewn about will be okay? I really don't want a bare sandy bottom tank.

Chris

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
Yeah a few rocks laying around would be ok but don't put them in the middle of the tank, put them towards the end of the tank. Leave the middle area open for the other fishes to swim. Try adding salt to the tank to help relieve some of the stress. 1 tbsp for 10gals. Good luck with the fishes.

chrisngo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
I changed up all the rocks and moved them to either end of the tank. The guy that jammed himself head first is now upright and breathing somewhat normally. I hope he makes it through the night. The dominant male is still being really aggressive. I will move him into his own tank tomorrow. First I gotta set up the spare 10 gallon and it's filtration. Will I ever be able to put him back into the tank?

Thank you
Chris

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
I would isolate him for 2 weeks, then when you put him back in the main tank remove all the rocks first. Also, put him back in the main tank at night. Wait a few days then put the rocks back in. They will re-establish the hierarchy again. Hopefully this time around he will not be so aggressive. Good luck

chrisngo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
UPDATE:

The beat up guy made it through the night. I wake up only to find another alpha callochromis male is chasing all the others around. I can't win. The new alpha seems to be happier holding down such a large square footage of sand bed.

The tropheus seem to be doing fine. I got a local guy that may buy them so we'll see what's up. I don't want to accidentally screw them up by feeding such a variety of foods on top of veggie stuff.

Thank you for all the feedback.
Chris

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
blkg35;2478669; said:
I would isolate him for 2 weeks, then when you put him back in the main tank remove all the rocks first. Also, put him back in the main tank at night. Wait a few days then put the rocks back in. They will re-establish the hierarchy again. Hopefully this time around he will not be so aggressive. Good luck
Best Advice on this matter

chrisngo;2479237; said:
UPDATE:

The beat up guy made it through the night. I wake up only to find another alpha callochromis male is chasing all the others around. I can't win. The new alpha seems to be happier holding down such a large square footage of sand bed.

The tropheus seem to be doing fine. I got a local guy that may buy them so we'll see what's up. I don't want to accidentally screw them up by feeding such a variety of foods on top of veggie stuff.

Thank you for all the feedback.
Chris

GL, I hope it turns out well. Keep us up to date on them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store