2nd Floor Aquarium

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
My friend lives up stairs in an apartment. He keeps asking me this question and I told him I would find out for him on MFK...How big of an aquarium could he have in an apartment on the 2nd floor?

Pangong_ilong

I want one too !
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
Fresh Meadow, NY
RTF got a 180g on a 2nd floor. So i guess you can get that big boy in there.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
tell him to keep getting bigger ones until it falls through..., then back up one size.

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
All to do with wot flooring u got. I mean if uve got concreat flooring skies ur limit same with steel joisting just watch out were the joisting is postioned tho. If u got timbre flooring id go 55 gallons or less juss to be safe.

Pangong_ilong

I want one too !
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
Fresh Meadow, NY
guppy said:
tell him to keep getting bigger ones until it falls through..., then back up one size.
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
RtF's former pad was old. Like 2 centuries old hahaha. j/k But it was one of those old houses i think in jersey though.

walls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Well you can look at it this way as well..........

Lets say a 150 fully stocked and loaded might weigh 1500 LBS. And you have 9 friends that all weigh about 175 LBS. Would you be afraid to let your friends all stand in a line along one of the walls in the apartment??

If you are really nervous find out which way the floor joists run and if they run north to south in the room than make sure that the tank runs east to west.

Been a union carpenter for over 13 years and have yet to see a floor that is in good shape "collapse". ;)

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
walls said:
Well you can look at it this way as well..........

Lets say a 150 fully stocked and loaded might weigh 1500 LBS. And you have 9 friends that all weigh about 175 LBS. Would you be afraid to let your friends all stand in a line along one of the walls in the apartment??

If you are really nervous find out which way the floor joists run and if they run north to south in the room than make sure that the tank runs east to west.

Been a union carpenter for over 13 years and have yet to see a floor that is in good shape "collapse". ;)
My friend and I live in California, so earthquakes are expected. So I hope the building is strong enough for an aquarium. My friend is just worried about it being too heavy. Walls, I understand that a second floor could hold a good amount of weight, but he's concerned that 9 people who weigh 175 lbs aren't going to constantly standing in the same spot for months 24/7.

Thanks for all your input guys :thumbsup:
I really appreciate it.

rottbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
West Des Moines, Ia
depends on the floor and not all concrete floors are the same around here they used to pour 2" concrete over the wood subfloor to help with sound and this just adds more weight to the wood joist, but my old house with 2"x8" joists holds my 110 just fine we will find out how much it will hold when i put a big plywood tank together hmmmmm

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
rottbo said:
depends on the floor and not all concrete floors are the same around here they used to pour 2" concrete over the wood subfloor to help with sound and this just adds more weight to the wood joist, but my old house with 2"x8" joists holds my 110 just fine we will find out how much it will hold when i put a big plywood tank together hmmmmm

concrete floors over here are usually 12" thick and supported with steel.... well the sites ive worked on have been anyway! As u say tho different places different styles!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store