Shredded fins

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
I didn't real know where to put this post but oh well. Okay so here's the deal. I just finished moving my 55 gallon mbuna and 29 gallon amazon tank to my new house. I always hate moving fish and this is like the third time I moved my amazon fish tank because it's older. So after I got my mbuna tank setup I really wasn't paying much attention to the fish. I had alot to do so I kinda had to keep moving. My mbuna where in a bucket for about 3hours with no o2 cuz my mom took so long to pick me up. So I lost a red zebra and one of my remaining two red zebras(Metriaclima estherae), got the fins shredded the heck out of him. His pectoral, tail, dorsal, anal, and pelvic fins are almost completely gone. I have no idea to what happened to this fish but it's a wonder he can swim. Now I know it's just fins but there is so much missing plus I can't even see the tank for another 2 weeks. I have to rely on my stepfather to take care of them which is basically feeding but I get real worried when other people take care of my tanks. You never really know what could happen. Plus this is just like the wors time. My amzon tank I'm not as worried about but these mbunas are fierce and will tear him to pieces. I added new slate so there is plent of hiding but still.

Now to the questions. How long do you think it will take him to recover? should I be worried or will he be fine? should I sepperate him?

plz any suggestions welcomed!

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
yeah i would seperate the injured one, best way to try and save him would be salt and heat, im on the same boat as u right now and this is what im doing.

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
You're gonna have to separate him. If you leave him with the rest of the fishes then they will kill him. It will take a pretty long time for his fins to grow back but MelaFix & PimaFix will help it grow back faster.

ryanc2106

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
Los Angeles
blkg35;2482238; said:
You're gonna have to separate him. If you leave him with the rest of the fishes then they will kill him. It will take a pretty long time for his fins to grow back but MelaFix & PimaFix will help it grow back faster.
agreed

and add some aquarium salt and bump the heat up about 2 degrees, thats what i did and helped out alot

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
thank you guys so much for the quick replies

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
that fish that i had all shredded that i was talking about was sitting at the bottom of the tank almost lifeless the other day, i cranked up the heat and added salt and it made such a difference. he up and swimming around like ntohing...

just a little encouragement ;)

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
yeah I added salt and raised the heat a bit. He is swimming and he isn't getting picked on much. Just this socolofi that kinda hung under him(rank wize) and as soon as he went down this little fish rose to power. Once that redzebra gets better though all will be as it was. But for now he just kind hides. Still eating though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store