Ray vs. Plecos

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
How many Ray owners here have been or are currently successful with keeping rays with plecos? :)

I was also wondering what to look for when a pleco gets a taste of a ray? Do they leave some distinct mark of some sort?

I am going to attempt to keep a ray with a pleco soon, so any info on what to look out for would be great! (FYI I plan on introducing the ray first to let it establish itself and then intro the pleco)

Please let me know if...

1. You've never even attempted it :(
2. You've tried it and it worked! :)
or
3. You've tried it and it failed! :WHOA:

Please leave details like, What type of pleco was it? How long did it last? What happened to your ray? etc etc etc. THANKS!!!

Fried_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
VA/MD/DC Area
Pleco and turtles are a risk to rays. I had a royal pleco in with my big rays for a few years but then again he hardly move so it worked out fine.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
i've never tried it, and would always see it as a risk to a ray, but there are a lot of people here that keep them together.

flyingsaucer owner

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2005
England
I keep a common plec in each of my ray tanks to keep the glass clean & have never had any problems with them.
I have had trouble with a large L14 that was very aggressive with rays & have heard a few horror stories about large royals & L25 kept with rays.
A bet a lot of the the tales you hear about them attacking rays involve newly acquired rays that are put in with a well settled plec. Long term captive rays are always on the move & far to boisterous for a pleco to bother unless it is large & aggressive.

saganeer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2006
Monterrey, Mexico
i´ve a common pleco in my tank and never had problems, only that the pleco is still very little about 3inch, i don´t know what´s gonna happen when he grows. (assuming is a he)

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I have a 15" common pleco in my breeding pond.

I also have two gold nuggets and a clown pleco in my 180 with histrix rays.

I have never had any problems.

Colin

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
I have 3 large bristle nose plecos and a whiptail pleco in with my stingray right now and dont have any problem.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I've had some common plecos with my rays before and it worked out fine. Just keep an eye on any signs of aggression or biting of any kind.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I think two things to making this work would be:
1) Keep the Pleco well fed
2) Lots of space and territory

I saw some huge tiger rays (3') in with some huge Gibby plecos (2').. The tank was probably about 5000 gallons, and they left each other alone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store