Jewel

countrykat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2007
Ohio
How many of you keep Jewel cichlids in your African tanks? I know they are commonly kept with the dempsey, firemouth and convicts at the pet store but had the understanding that they were actually african cichlids.

Just curious.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
The rift lake cichlids are different from this African cichlid. Water conditions are different, the Jewels works better with the type of water for SA/CA cichlids. Plus I heard rift lake cichlids would skin Jewel Cichlids alive, especially Mbunas.

mahemaheman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
spokane
i have always kept jewels with my mbuna and ive never had a problem, ive even had my jewels spawn in my mbuna tank, just make sure there all around the same size

they will acclimate to the ph, just remember jewels dietary needs are a little different then mbuna, i feed my mbuna/jewel tank hikari cichlid stable and nls, the jewels really like the hikari as to where my mbuna mostly like the nls so it works for me

mahemaheman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
spokane
Pyramid_Party;2483733; said:
The rift lake cichlids are different from this African cichlid. Water conditions are different, the Jewels works better with the type of water for SA/CA cichlids. Plus I heard rift lake cichlids would skin Jewel Cichlids alive, especially Mbunas.

jewels can hold there own just fine

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
i agree , ive kept them with mbunas and convicts just fine , they were never nipped or picked on severly.

BigTim15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2008
East Coast
My jewel is the most aggressive fish i have ever owned.. It is 3 inches and picks on my 9 inch oscar..hands down the nastiest fish i have ever owned

Calaustria

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Hobart, IN
You have to remember, fish have different personalities. One jewel cichlid might pick on everything else you try to keep it with. Another one might be very timid, and get ripped to shreds by Mbunas. It all depends on the individual fish. In theory, it's not a good combination because Jewel cichlids are bigger, slow moving, while Mbunas are fast, darting, streamlined fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store