nonstop flashing

blazin_dragon18

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2007
US, LA
i have 3 dats. 2 ntts, 1 indo. all three of 'em have to flashing nonstop recently. they never flash like this be4. i observed 'em closely and there're no ich or other visible parasites on their body. wut else could cause 'em to have this behavior? :nilly:

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
What are your water parameters?

Just keep a close eye on them. Sometimes if they have Ich, they will start to flash before the parasite is actually visible.

Bichir4Life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2008
Canada
Also what are you feeding them, i've head salty foods also have an effect. Did you start feeding them something new???

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Bichir4Life;2486279; said:
Also what are you feeding them, I've head salty foods also have an effect. Did you start feeding them something new???
very true i have found that salt foods make them scratch

i have 3 tigers in my tank 2 eat salty foods the other eats pellets the one on pellets doesn't scratch the other 2 do

its normal don't worry

brianp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Fremont, CA
If you have determined that the amount of scratching is excessive (based upon whatever criteria you are applying), then my advice is to treat the tank for 3 days with a broad-spectrum antiparasitic med. I can personally recommend Jungle Labs Parasite Clear. Others have used Clout successfully. The Jungle Labs med will have no effect upon your biofiler...not sure about Clout. Give them a SINGLE DOSE and allow it to remain in the tank for three days. After treatment, perform a 50% wc and I believe that you will see a significant dimunition in the frequency of scratching. I'm sure you are aware that Dats like to scratch and you will probably never totally eradicate this behavior.

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Check water params.
Pull back on the salty foods.
Keep a close eye on your fish for any signs of parasites.

I would not medicate your water until it has been determined that the flashing is from a parasite. Excessive scratching can be caused by a number of things and you should never medicate fish unless absolutely needed.

G/L

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store