Overstocking Question

Juice79

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2008
ny
Hi guys. I have been reading that overstocking the tank can be used as a form of aggression reduction. I will be starting up a 55g malawi african community, all juvi's 2-3 inches. How many would be considered adequate overstocking?....even if it meant removing a few when they get older and bigger. Thanks in advance guys!

Juice79

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2008
ny
Sorry...2 Aquaclear 70's and 1 Aquaclear 70 powerhead with a quickfilter added.

onlikedonkeykong17

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
US
this may be a stupid question.. but why does knowing the filtration matter?
sorry for the stupid question.. hhaha

BarroomHero

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
Las Vegas
onlikedonkeykong17;2487807; said:
this may be a stupid question.. but why does knowing the filtration matter?
sorry for the stupid question.. hhaha
The amount of filtration would determine the bioload you can have.

onlikedonkeykong17

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
US
oh.. thanks for clarifying

Juice79

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2008
ny
Either Mbuna or haps/peacocks...havent decided yet...what would be your suggestions on each?

cl0wn knife

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
Oxford
if mbuna then id suggets 30 plus in their what i did in my 55 i had 2 2 fluval 405 and a 205 on their 2 cope with the bioload never had a single serious scrap in that tank so from experience id suggets heavy overstocking

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
i would just add as many as your comfortable with... making sure as you add that you quarenteen first... it is very difficult to give an exact number because your not sure what type of fish.. because some grow large and some stay small so you have to make adjustments for the long term... also what sex ...all males or mixed...if your going to have breeding africans then you need room for the growing family... even though alot perish or are eaten many survive and become part of your collection.. i think also it depends on how you set up your tank... if there are alot of places for them to hide and excape you will have less aggression... so even though we all agree that more africans less aggression i would take it slow if i were you with the numbers.. a few at a time.. another few at a time.. etc. until you hit a comfortable level... :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store