Lonenose gar with Tiger shovelnose catfish?

bakerheadx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2008
Meadville
Hello everyone.... I'm curious... I have a longnose gar in my 75 gallons tank and he is about 25 inches long. What I'm wondering is can I put 14" tiger shovelnose catfish with it? I know I need a bigger tank and will be getting 500 gallons tank soon but for now.... think it can be together in a same tank?

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
not saying yours will work without issues, but i havea shortnose gar with my tsn but in a 400gal comm. i even have 2 spotted gars in there as well. i've never personally owned a longnose gar but if the temperment is anywhere near the same u should be okay.

my shortnose gar was 22 inches and my tsn was abuot 12 when i first put them together. the tsn has caught up to it since, and everything is still gravy

bakerheadx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2008
Meadville
I thought it might be ok to put both of them together. I just don't want to see one getting killed. Nevertheless. I think it will do well together.

franchise513

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2008
Cincinnati
I mean im just saying this but 25" in a 75g tank?!?!?!? i no you realized you need to upgrade but you gar is 7" longer than the width of your tank. l'm just saying this, because that can be terribly unhealthy for your fish. And off that note, idk if i would trust the tsn with a gar, even with that size difference, tsn can grow big and catfish and gars are normally not a good mixer

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
ethnics;2488348; said:
not saying yours will work without issues, but i havea shortnose gar with my tsn but in a 400gal comm. i even have 2 spotted gars in there as well. i've never personally owned a longnose gar but if the temperment is anywhere near the same u should be okay.

my shortnose gar was 22 inches and my tsn was abuot 12 when i first put them together. the tsn has caught up to it since, and everything is still gravy
*Disclaimer*
The above posters single fish is not normal for Shortnosed gar behavior and his experience is really skewed by this.. As has been said more times than once....But yet he still thinks this is normal and still thinks the majority are like his which is totally false.. Why he refuses to except that his experience is very untypical (And take this as really cool for him alone but so not much for others) I really do not know..

He apperently thinks his one fish is how all are and refuses to accept no matter what any additional information one says (Even if they have kept well over 30 to his 1 and actually studied them and observed them regularly in the wild) that his fish is rather rare in behavior.

Now to the question:
NO.... Bad idea..... it sucks and just forget it. TSN can do fine with gar when set up right but you have no where near the correct set up at this time and it is an Ill advised mix. Get the right tank and set it up right or forget it.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
I agree with poly here
catfish and gar sometimes work but i wouldnt do it in that size tank
also longnose are, not really sure how to put it, but a more "freagile" gar?guess thats one way. wait untill the big tank then maybe
*note* i have no were near the experience of poly and some of these guys so i am putting my own disclaimer. Im no expert and this is just my opinion with the gars

fishy_123

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
home
do you have a pic of your 25" longnose? i did'nt think he'd grow to that size in your 75 gal..
and i agree with the others, don't even think about it till you get a bigger tank..

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
yes i am puzzled on how it got that big in that tank as well......

MrBlakcIS300

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2008
MN
Tank size is only a partial factor in the growth of a fish. In the end big fish still get big.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store