cichlids and sand driving me crazy

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
I see pics of everyone with there perfectly leveled untouched sand bottom tanks with cichlids. My tank looks like the grand canyon alll the time its drives me nuts. Its an eye sore to try to have a pretty tank and daily i have tol full dozens of basketball sized holes, and i have rocks stacked up but with all the digging they all fall. Is ther a way to prevent this or a reason why they are digging to many holes? what are the tricks you all use to keep your sand not looking like crators on the moon?

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
Because we clean the tanks right before hand. lol...

No really nothing you can do. Cichlids dig. The rock trouble is easy. Eggcrate under sand. Then push base rocks all the way down to the eggcrate.

Takes care of the falling rocks.

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
oh hey thanks! never though of that. And we have plenty egg crate here thanks to my husbands divider ocd. :D:D

my tank is bad, its like the fish are soldiers in a war zone and thy are hiding behind a huge wall of sand waiting for attackers.

so im slow, how exactly do i do the egg crate thing?

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
mike dunagan;2489723; said:
Because we clean the tanks right before hand. lol...

No really nothing you can do. Cichlids dig. The rock trouble is easy. Eggcrate under sand. Then push base rocks all the way down to the eggcrate.

Takes care of the falling rocks.

:iagree:

moneyman6891

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2008
Florida
just put the eggcrate under the sand and then put the rock directly on the eggcrate. then add sand

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
TRENT;2489844; said:
Look at it this way, you must have happy fish. Otherwise they would be inactive.

they are the happiest fish ever!! in that case ;)

heck they live with me of course they are happy :D:D

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
moneyman6891;2489848; said:
just put the eggcrate under the sand and then put the rock directly on the eggcrate. then add sand
ok thanks. this weekend is aquascaping weekend then :D

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
Dont forget to take pics when you're done......:grinno:

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami