shelldweller tankmates

shortenjam88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2008
Scranton PA
besides bristlenose plecos, what would or can you stock with shelldweller cichlids. I have a 20 gallon tank going through its cycle right now, and shelldwellers stick to the bottom, are there any top or mid dwellers that can live with them, with the high ph?

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
the tank is going through its cycle? i wouldnt ad anything until its fully cycled. top dwellers would be fine but a 20g sounds just good enough for a nice shelly tank :)

cr8on

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2007
Small Cyprichromis, small Julidochromis, small Synodontis such as nigriventris, maybe a group of small rainbowfish such as Melanotaenia praecox.

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
20 gallon seems kinda small to get open water swimmers. If you do then go with juvies but eventually you're gonna need a bigger tank. 20 gal for shellies only tank sounds better.....:grinno:

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
Put a whole bunch of shells in there. If you cover the entire bottom of the tank with shells instead of having some scattered here & there like most people do, your fish won't cling to the bottom as much. If they know they have lots of places to hide, they won't be as skittish. Works like a charm for my N. multifasciatus tank. They are mid-swimmin' fools now.

Marine aquarists often use the same approach. The more coral/live rock added, the more you'll see the fish out in the open.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
aspear;2489818; said:
half beaks stay small and are cool
I had a breeding pair of ocellatus in a 20 long with a small fleet of halfbeaks on the topwater area and it worked out fine with no signs of aggression or anything...great recommendation

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
personally i love halfbeaks for tankmates with bottom dwellers ;)

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I would do just do shellies a 20g is to small for any open top water swimmers. I would say cyprichromis would be great but they would need more space then a 20g to swim.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store