adopted a cichlid - please ID

Pnoiz1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Camarillo, CA
Hey everyone, I picked up an African cichlid from the plant tank at my local LFS. Haven't really seen anything like it but it's got really nice colors. Some blue, yellow, even orange. Could someone please tell me what beauty I picked up? Thank you in advance. :)

Mike fail

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
ponca city oklahoma
pictures?

Oosh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
South Australia
Oh it's definitely Mbuna, I was thinking maybe some type of Maylandia or Metriaclima but could equally be a Pseudotropheus or one of many others.

But, if I'm forced to guess, I'm going to say it's a juvie Rusty (Iodotropheus sprengerae) even though it looks a bit on the light side.

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
Oosh;2494437; said:
Oh it's definitely Mbuna, I was thinking maybe some type of Maylandia or Metriaclima but could equally be a Pseudotropheus or one of many others.

But, if I'm forced to guess, I'm going to say it's a juvie Rusty (Iodotropheus sprengerae) even though it looks a bit on the light side.

this was my first thought too. female juvie rusty. its to small to tell but thats my vote, female rusty.

Pnoiz1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Camarillo, CA
Thanks for the replies, guys. I began feeding it with granules tonight and it's really enjoying them. Also, there is more color in the fins now. I'll take another photo in the next week or so. Thanks again!! :)

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
Metriaclima greshakei. It looks like a young male and males will turn blue as they mature but it's hard to be sure of sex at a young age.
It's a more common species and a little larger growing but they're also not nearly as aggressive as the popular Melanochromis sp. or Metriaclima lombardoi. They're one of my old-school faves.

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
straitjacketstar;2496596; said:
Metriaclima greshakei. It looks like a young male and males will turn blue as they mature but it's hard to be sure of sex at a young age.
It's a more common species and a little larger growing but they're also not nearly as aggressive as the popular Melanochromis sp. or Metriaclima lombardoi. They're one of my old-school faves.
i dont think males are that redish color even juveniles. am i wrong? they grow into the blue yes but isnt usually a silvery tinge they get the blue from not a red/orange?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store