should I or souldn't I

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
I currently have an RTG in a 200 gal with 70gal sump. There are 2 other fish in with it, one small orange parrot and one big highbread parrot. Not much agression.
The RTG must be about 12 to 14 inches long. Yesterday i saw a dat, don't know what type think it was a wide bar. Very gold and dark black, it was only small so it must've been a baby.
I know they grow slowly but they can get pretty big. I'm jsut wondering if in years to come my tank will be too small.
footprint 62 inches by 30 inches hight 26 inches.
What do you guys think?

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
by RTG do you mean redtail gold arowana ? if so then your size tank will be fine for the dat with other fish but the aro will eventually outgrow it,in my opinion they need a minimum width of 30" and a length of 84" but bigger is better as they aren't as flexible as silver aro's but these grow bigger anyhow, regards Paul

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
second that.

HiImSean

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2007
kennesaw, ga
if it was a small <8" it was a indo dat. how big was it? if jordan's right about it being a arow, be careful, a friends aro chowed down about 5 <4" dats

christ4paul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
with the rtg other fishes should be too small because it will eat it when you dont feed it. so i recomend throwing in bigger fishes that can defend itself. as far as i know rtg's are very similar to the jardini and they get aggressive towards other fishes sometimes.

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Hi classic,i think your tank will be too small length ways in the end,so you need to get a longer tank sometime,but the other dimensions are fine,h put my indo dat in with my 18 inch at the time rtg and the dat was only 4.25 inches and is still only 5 and a bit inches and the rtg is just over 19 at the mo, and the aro occasionally nips at him but other wise the dat is the aros shadow!
As for the rtg not being as flexible as a silver, ive never had a silver but my rtg can turn on a sixpence,its quite suprising how he can turn in his own length and get round the smallest of gaps so i wouldnt worry about that,but obviously if you can go bigger then do it!
In my opinion the dat will be fine for at least a couple of years,so get planning for your bigger tank!

Cheers steve

DrUgS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
U.S.
There is only one solution... Get a bigger tank!

Arozilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
CANADA
christ4paul;2494050; said:
with the rtg other fishes should be too small because it will eat it when you dont feed it. so i recomend throwing in bigger fishes that can defend itself. as far as i know rtg's are very similar to the jardini and they get aggressive towards other fishes sometimes.

X2

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
dump the parrots waste of tank space in my opinion

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
tank is fine for the dat for a VERY long time, but IDK if it's large enough to go in there. You haven't told us what actual size it is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store