GAR selection

gavigan1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2008
arowanaville
Hi guys, the day has come where I have to accept getting rid of my 8in alligator gar. I love this guy but he has become a liability, he is fearless and when he grabs one of his tankmates the teeth are doing to much damage. I can see it's only going to get worse from here. I need help selecting a better tempered gar. Tank size is 265. Primary tank mates are arowana, payara,parrots, frontosa. Thanks

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
You're more than likely correct about the Gator gar only getting worse as he grows (that's been a frequent topic discussed on here in the past). As far as a better tempered gar...a Florida/Spotted Gar would probably be your best bet or a Tropical Gar if it's available and in the budget. I'm not in 100% agreeance with a few of the tankmates, but Florida/Spotteds have been one of the more 'tankmate friendly' gars in my experience. My Tropical Gar can be very aggro, but he finally seems to have gotten over that phase. All of the gar species listed above tend to be fairly stable and durable given the proper care and conditions.

Hope this helps,

Bartek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
london
uk.youtube.com
why do shops sell alligator gars anyway?
about two months ago I have seen an over three foot alligator gar in one fish shop for £75,they told me that i can kept it in my aquarium but I just couldn't believe it!
they should be banned,they grow too big for any home aquarium!

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
i agree with jordan on the suggested species, Florida or tropical are your best bets...and really the best captive gar species all the way around in terms of availability, durability, and compatibility.
also as noted, those tankmates are not the best for any gar...most will be unable to ignore the silvery-payara and will beat on it if not kill it while trying to eat it. and cichlids and gars are never an advisable combo (arow/gar combos are questionable at best, but they do work from time to time...mainly with SAmerican arows, or African bonytongues; not Australian arows) --
--solomon

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
I suspect E_americanus has the right about the silvery sheen and gar's attention. I was not successful in keeping silver aro with gator either (went over the divider and trashed the poor silver).

Gator is Ok so far with RTCs and Paimas though (note none of them a shiny or silvery)

PS: i have tried a large white/platinum (was very shiny) koi with gars ... no go either

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
first off,fl/spotted is your best bet.
second,what species of payara and arowana?
cichlids are rarely good with gar.

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
channarox;2494065; said:
first off,fl/spotted is your best bet.
second,what species of payara and arowana?
cichlids are rarely good with gar.
I actually have an old O (7-8 years old) living with three gars (biggest one is big). Seems OK. O does not seem to be very hyper ... usually hangs out with RTCs which were raised with him since indoor times (for protection? lol)

PS: the newly donated one was eaten by RTC

lordofthejewsjr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2008
thats a good question
my florida spotted gar gets along with all my fish
and he's cool so get one.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
ctoychik;2494536; said:
I actually have an old O (7-8 years old) living with three gars (biggest one is big). Seems OK. O does not seem to be very hyper ... usually hangs out with RTCs which were raised with him since indoor times (for protection? lol)

PS: the newly donated one was eaten by RTC
dude.
you have gator gars.:nilly:
not fl/spotted or any other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store