Tank mate question

jcm412

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2008
PA
Hey guys, i dont know a whole lot about gars yet. Do you have any recomendations on a gar to keep with a RTCxTSN hybrid?

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
A big one. Seriously, you don't want your cat to outgrow the gar, and gar are not particularly fast growers.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Noto;2493474; said:
A big one. Seriously, you don't want your cat to outgrow the gar, and gar are not particularly fast growers.
in terms of fishes in general, gar are actually quite fast growers; it's just in comparison with RTC's and several other large catfishes their growth isn't quite as fast. going from egg to around 16" for each species in the family in the first growing season is actually an exceptionally fast growth rate amongst freshwater fishes.

you're better off growing out the catfish first (for a year or so, maybe longer) and then adding a big gar, as opposed to growing them together and risking one eating the other or dying while trying--
--solomon

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
E_americanus;2494557; said:
in terms of fishes in general, gar are actually quite fast growers; it's just in comparison with RTC's and several other large catfishes their growth isn't quite as fast. going from egg to around 16" for each species in the family in the first growing season is actually an exceptionally fast growth rate amongst freshwater fishes.

you're better off growing out the catfish first (for a year or so, maybe longer) and then adding a big gar, as opposed to growing them together and risking one eating the other or dying while trying--
--solomon
:iagree:
gars are by no means slow growers.

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
cats and gars are not the best tankmates. although i just got a little 3" lima in with my juvi polys.

Arozilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
CANADA
yeah catfish sure grows fast and eats everything!

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
gars grows very fast noto
mine went 2" to 13" in 5 months (first growing season but still)
agree with what every one else says

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store