ID African Cichlid Please

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
I purchased this little fish a few weeks ago at the LFS. The owner had just gotten the shipment in that day. He wasn't sure what type cichlid it is. The label on the bag stated that there were zebras, electric blues, johanni, and others I can't remember. I have looked at several pics of africans and I can't figure out what type mine is. I am beginning to think it is a juvenile Kenyi. It has one egg spot on the anal fin that is yellow. Can anyone help me ID this fish please? It is the little blue one.

Johanni, Kenyi, Tiber Barb,Bumblebee.JPG

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
Does anyone have an idea? I thought I was purchasing a Johanni but now I don't think that is what I got. I have a male Kenyi in the same tank and I am hoping that this new little fish doesn't turn yellow like him. Anyone?

Eläköön

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
Aşgabat Türkmenistan
just looks like one of the Metriaclima Zebras, typical Mbuna, likes to be kept in groups with 1m 3f ratio. if kept with non african cichlids they are often too aggresive
great looking little guy though. and im sure tiger barbs will put up with the aggression

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
As Eläköön said i agree it looks like M.zebra ... try and get another pic so we can see fins etc.. and just closer shot if possible.. otherwise just wait until its a bit older and everyone can positively ID..very pretty little guy

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
Thanks everyone. I have been searching pics of different african cichlids and the closest thing I can come to it is the pseudotropheus sp. "elongatus ornatus". I had a hard time getting the pic of it because it is so active. It darts out of the shot almost everytime. Lol It does have the black stripe on the lower fins and dorsal fin but you cant see that in this pic. If I can get a better shot I will. Thanks again.

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
I know this is not a great pic but I think you can see the color of the fish and I think I can see the black line on the lower fins.

00000091.JPG

VJC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
FL
I agree with NotoriousSway on this one. Looks like a socolofi to me

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
VJC;2504589; said:
I agree with NotoriousSway on this one. Looks like a socolofi to me
i agree now also -sub adult

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
i agree on the above and that it might be a little out of place in that tank ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store