160 Gallon Tang Tank

HFRCampbell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2008
boise
im looking for tangs for a 160 gallon tank, the dimensions are 72x20x24w. Im looking into tangs for this like ones other than tropheus and frontosa. I was looking at mixing some shell dwellers with maby some calvus and some jullies. What do you guys think? also filtration and what type of rocks to use will also help.

Thanks

moneyman6891

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2008
Florida
I like texas holey rock or black slate. For fish I would go with some calvus for sure. And filtration I would use a fx5 or make a sump. But do you want not what everyone else has or suggests that is one of my favorite things about the hobby.

HFRCampbell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2008
boise
im realitivly new to the thought of tangs, most of my research/experiance is for new world and some mbuna. Hmm i excluded fronts from this list because i thought they would be to expensive, but i just found out i can get about 6 for 72 bucks + s/h. So i might just get them instead, could i keep some calvus with them?

mcsx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2007
Australia
i reckon go a mix of shellies, cyprichromis, some sandsifters, and maybe some julies or comps

and yes you can keep calvus with the fronts, aslong as the calvus arnt small enough to fit into the fronts mouth's

HFRCampbell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2008
boise
is 6 seven stripe fronts for 60 bucks a good price. the tank is going to be around 160 gallons. but comes out to like 152. and for filtration i was planning on doing a fx5 and then using a 50 gallon trash can for a sump.

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
filtration sounds fine. It should be an okay size. Calvus can work, but comps get just a bit bigger and will work as well. If you go with Fronts, use round large river rocks. They can spook and cut themselves on slate and THR.

HFRCampbell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2008
boise
okay. sounds good. cant wait to get this up and running. so im planning on buying 10 of them, then raise them till venting size and selling/giving away the males except for one and keeping the females. Hopefully there will be way more females then males.

HFRCampbell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2008
boise
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store