bug food

mr_cool_guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2008
Florida
anybody feed there cichlids bugs you find around the house. mine love grasshoppers and little roaches.

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
i try not to as i spray with bug killer and i spray the long with it so no worms either. I dont trust what they are filled with.

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
I have used crickets... but I almost never feed them stuff from the yard. Roaches huh... they like them a lot? Seem like they are all exoskeleton and no meat...lol

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
no problem feeding them store-bought crickets, but I'd definitely stay away from anything caught you caught yourself, who knows what they were exposed to

mr_cool_guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2008
Florida
i dont use any toxins in the yard at all, im afraid it will get in my ground water. its not like its there main diet, but if i happen upon a bug ill throw it it the tank and watch the mbunas surround the bug suspiciusly... then bam one will snap at it and the frenzy is on. they will rip em apart, fun to watch.

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
My Flowerhorn actually caught a moth once... I about crapped my pants that he actually got it! LOL His tank light was the only light on in the room and there was a moth that kept coming up to the tank. He natually went after it until the moth flew to the top and "fell in" the cracks. He got it quick!! LOL

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
I fed my cichlids mosquito larvae once and they went crazy for it. Haven't done it since cause not sure what kinda disease they might carry. That was awhile back and the fishes are still ok.....:grinno:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store