Anubias turning yellow :(

polak_no_1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
Hi,

I have several different species of anubias in my 230gal tank, which seem to be slowly going yellow. What does this mean? are they getting burnt, or are they deprived of something?

I have a 6ft light on top with 2 rows of lights, i think from memory in each row there is a 3ft and a 2.5ft light so two times that. They are power glo globes.

The timer comes on at 930am and off at 1am. I think this might be excessive, not sure though.

Also as for nutrient or co2, I dont have either, although am contemplating a diy co2 setup.

I have coral sand at the bottom, even though my fish (convicts, gt's electric yellows, lombardois) are quite messy, I think the filter ends up with the nutrient, rather than it getting stuck within the substrate - not that that should make much difference since all my plants are on driftwood.

I hope thats enough info to make an analysis - please help.

The plants are quite big and nice, and cost me quite a bit.

Thanks
Polak

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado
its a nutrient problem. If they are turning yellow its most likely iron they are lacking. get some flourish iron and an iron test kit and dose as directed. Also some regular flourish would be a good idea as well

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

Just to be on the safe side: Is the rhizome covered with substrate? "Cause it shouldn't be ...

HarleyK

mjime714

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2005
Los Angeles
HarleyK said:
Howdy,

Just to be on the safe side: Is the rhizome covered with substrate? "Cause it shouldn't be ...

HarleyK
Really? WOW.. I didnt know that. How much of it should be above the substrate?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
mjime714 said:
How much of it should be above the substrate?
Howdy,

Yeah, that's a common problem with Anubia. The rhizome should be completely out of the substrate. Roots can either be in substrate or on driftwood etc. A covered rhizome most often causes rotting, and the plant will die. Have a wild guess how I learned that :swear:

HarleyK

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
I agree with the others, you need to make sure you have enough Co2 content in your water, with such a large tank I would be thinking you might need it. Anubias is not a plant that needs alot of light, and it sounds like your able to provide enough light for it, but CO2 is the thing i would try.

polak_no_1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
thanks,
the rhizome isnt covered, i have the anubias quite high from the substrate on bigger pieces of driftwood.

I dont use any fertiliser, nor do I have co2, so looks like thats the path I will go down.

As fur the nutrient/fertiliser, is it just the iron I need?

Polak

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

thumbsup on your planting :)

Anubia is a low-maintenance plant. I'd try fertilizer before you invest in CO2. I suggest to use a general fertilizer, such as TetraPlant.

Good luck,
HarleyK

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado
co2 is not needed for anubius but ofter a general fert is. I would go with flourish before tetra but thats just a preference. I keep anubius in my 220 and they grow great but I have a BBA problem on them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store