black sandblasting sand OK?

liberator177

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
michigan
when I was strolling through my local menards by the cement they had what was called "black sandblasting sand" On the back of ther package it said it was made from quartz, Is this stuff ok to use in aquariums? Its pretty nice looking.

Thanks in advace,
John

also sorry about making another "sand thread" I just havent seen any posts about this stuff.

V1xIII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2008
MO
I've heard that sandblasting sand can have some weird stuff in it, various metals and such.

ericifish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2008
Florida
if you want sand, just go to lowes and get play sand. i just bought a 50 pound bag for less than 4 dollars. i just rinsed it for like 30 mins in a cooler and viola now its the substrate in my 55 gallon

ohhsweetness

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
Australia/ Brisbane
if you want sand, just go to lowes and get play sand. i just bought a 50 pound bag for less than 4 dollars. i just rinsed it for like 30 mins in a cooler and viola now its the substrate in my 55 gallon
btu he may not want white sand

also thre r sharp things in it
i was going to use but yeah decided not to jus went
and bought black gravel instead but i wanted sand o well

crowconor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2008
hanover,ma
justget pool filter sand i love it and it looks good

liberator177

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
michigan
ohhsweetness;2508414; said:
btu he may not want white sand

also thre r sharp things in it
i was going to use but yeah decided not to jus went
and bought black gravel instead but i wanted sand o well
exactly, I want black sand not white/ brown/ multi color sand. I think I may end up just doing what you did and buy some black gravel.

nyinfamous2k2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
NY
it may be a little expensive but the black sand at petland discounts is awsome stuff. cost me $4. per 5Lbs but its great it has good weight so when i sturr it up it quickly sinks and doesnt turn into a cloud of floating sand that ruins filters, like play sand, that stuff sux. but def go with sand I will never go back to gravel.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
nyinfamous2k2;2740652; said:
it may be a little expensive but the black sand at petland discounts is awsome stuff. cost me $4. per 5Lbs but its great it has good weight so when i sturr it up it quickly sinks and doesnt turn into a cloud of floating sand that ruins filters, like play sand, that stuff sux. but def go with sand I will never go back to gravel.

that's pretty standard price, you can buy black moon sand from petsmart for 20 bucks for 20 lb back. but the problem with this stuff is if you got a big tank you will need a lot of sand. It took 40lbs to fill my 55 gallon and I still it needs more.

I wanted to add moon sand in my 220 but figured it would cost a a ton to buy almost 200lbs or more of sand. I will be using play sand or pool filter sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store