Fresh start for a 65 gallon

shinypenny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2007
PA
Well I've had a 65 gallon tank up for a little while and my current fist are starting to loose my interest (stopped breeding), so I'm thinking of switching it up a little and going back to Africans. I was thinking that a moderately aggressive Tanganyikan tank might work well.

I always have a soft spot for Tropheus, especially since my old Duboisi used to boss my Malawi tank full of full grown auratus and peakocks. I was considering these, but am worried that the tank might be a little small, especially if I want more than just Tropheus.

So how about some electric yellow's? I heard that they are a little more relaxed than some from the region.

If the Tropheus exclude any other open water swimmers, could I try them with some julidochromis sp? I just thought that there might not be too much agression as they occupy different portions of the water column.

Aside from this I am open to suggestions. The tank is in a fairly open busy spot, so nothing too shy. And I'm leaning towards understocking the tank. I hate the still african tank look when none of the fish move becuase they are all so crammed in that they have to protect their little rock. Previously I had fewer fish in the tank and the behaviours on display were much more interesting.

Anyway, feel free to chime in with ideas!

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
Tanganyikan tanks are pretty cool in my opinion. My girlfriend has a 55g tangan tank right now. She does have (bare with me) 1 female compressor, 1 male, 2 Julies, (they stay away from eachother) 2 shelldwellers, 6 barbs, a peacock, and a couple more but man I just don't know my Africans...

Anyway, to my understanding, the Electric Yellows are pretty reserved for temper. Should be good fish in the mix. The Julies can be pretty nasty especially if more than 1. With a 65 you should be able to have a couple if desired.

When the tank was put together it was "quiet" for a loaded up tank. So she ended up getting the barbs and it changed everything! Its pretty cool cause they swim around like crazy up at the top and that draws all of the other fish out. Makes the tank alot more fun!

shinypenny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2007
PA
One other thought. At the moment I have a light brown pea sized gravel. Would you recommend switching to sand to try and buffer the PH? Visually I'm tempted to try sand, but it would be extra work to empty out the tank.

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
buffer ph, well it depends on the sand you get. If it is for looks, I would do it for sure. Have you thought about doing a tang tank with some julies, some cyps, and some comps? Would work in this size tanks and the cyps move higher in the water colum than the other two.

shinypenny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2007
PA
mike dunagan;2510973; said:
buffer ph, well it depends on the sand you get. If it is for looks, I would do it for sure. Have you thought about doing a tang tank with some julies, some cyps, and some comps? Would work in this size tanks and the cyps move higher in the water colum than the other two.
I'm not sure. It think they'd definitely be harder for me to get a hold of. Also I'm a little worried about what I can swing by my Finacee. She wants something colorful, and I havn't seen much in the comps that fits the bill. Also the still stalking/head standing/hiding in caves behavior isn't really what I'm looking for (comps exhibit this from what I have heard), would prefer activity, Cyps could fit the bill there, but are they likely to be OK in a 3' tank?

As a side note, does anyone have an decent source for Africans in Philadelphia? I'd rather not ship, but there doesn't appear to be any good fish stores in center city. I know captain Nemo's is in the 'burbs, but are there any better and/or closer?

chrisngo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
You say you want a Tang tank, but you list Electric Yellow's as candidates. That species is from a different lake (Malawi).

Just thought I'd point that out...not sure how big of a deal it was, but it would definitely deviate from yout biotope.

Chris

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Julies will not hide, but will hug the rock work. Try a few Comps. Once the get adjusted to the tank they will be out all the time. Mine were a little shy in the 1.5" range, but have become much more bold will a little more size. Leleupi will give good color in the orange/yellow range. Electric Yellows you refer to are Yellow Labs (labidochromis caeruleus), they are not Tangs, but peacefull enough to work w/them. Shellies are an option as well as many neolamprolongus sp.

shinypenny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2007
PA
So what do you think of the Tropheus, Leleupi Juli combination? Only a pair of Julies, 4-6 Leleupi, and 8-10 Tropheus?

If the trophs are a stretch I could try substituting them for Cyps I guess, although i've seen limited availability in my area.

I'm still not sold on Comps. On basic body type, coloration and behaviour they're just not doing anything for me. And it's fine to say that they will come out from their caves eventually, but that doesn't make them active. I'm also a little worried that in a high traffic area they would be a little intimidated, and likely spend all of their time hiding.

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
A 3 foot tank for 8-10 tropheus might be pushing it. Especially if half of those were males. You would have some dead tropheus for sure.
Also, do you plan on adding alot of rocks? If you do then comps will hide constantly. In a 65gal 3 foot tank, i would personally do a species only tank, JMO.....:grinno:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store