tropheus

blatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
torquay, devon, !!ENGLAND!!
rite so iv been looking on the internet and have found somewere that sells tropheus and some other fish that i wanted, so im thinking of getting some only thing is i dont know witch ones 2 get they sell:
3cm tropheus duboisi £5 about $10 ea
4.5cm f1 tropheus duboisi £7.5 about $15ea
4.5cm f1 tropheus sp.ikola £8.5 about $16 ea
im pretty sure that the duboisi are maswa variety but not 100% sure on that. which fish would you personally get taking in mind id get either 8 3cm fish or 6 4.5cm fish.

another reason and the main reason why im getting these fish from this dealer is because im getting some fossochromis rostratus aswel im getting 6x7cm at £6 about $12ea and then either 6 nimbochromis venustus or 6 crytocara moorii aswel. i cant wait im getting them either this week or next.

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
I personally like the Ikolas more than the duboisis. The only problem about shipping tropheus is that they will nip at each other during shipping. By the time you get them most will have their fins nip and really stressed.
When I buy large trophs, I have them bagged individually during shipping.

rogersb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2008
hazleton, PA
Since you only gave us two choices, get the Ikolas. I have used dubs as a dither for another colony, but they're not that impressive once they get their adult colors. As for shipping, I don't know how they do. Mine were all in one bag, but only in transit for three hours. When I sold 7 this weekend I single bagged them. Individual people will cater to your needs better than wholesalers and distributors, so one per bag is probably out of the question, but three per bag is not. I'd ask for that. good luck with them and be sure to have clout or metro on hand, you'll probably need it at some point!

blatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
yer i was also looking into some of my other options and i remembered that id been in contact with a whole saler not that long ago and i said that i mite get some around this time these are the fish that i would get:
syno. multipunctatus TB £4.95 (£3.95 for 10)
cyatho. furcifer £5.95
tropheous duboisie £4.50 or
tropheous moliro £8.50 ( can only get wild m/l size hence price.)

i aslo was talking to someone else that had been keeping ikola for some years and he said to not get them as he started with 11 and now he has 4 because the larger ones would attack and kill the smaller ones, so im thinking either of these 2 ^^^^

blatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
sorry or just get both, would those 5 species be ok together in an 8ft just an idea, if i had a couple of big rock piles on the side and then a big open space in the middle to try and cater for both furcifer and tropheus?

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
You should be fine with all those above together in a 8ft tank.
Ikolas are pretty aggressive but most likely your friends ikolas died because he had alot of males. The stronger males were probably killing off the weaker ones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store