gar with smaller aro?

yemista

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Im thinking of getting a 6in yellow gar to put in with my 4 in aro. Do you think it will harm the aro? Ive had a spotted gar before and they seem to be very peaceful fish

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
yes, what is a yellow gar exactly, and what kind of arow do you have? if the gar is even comparable size to the arow it may try to eat it if the arow doesn't grow fast enough. at that small of sizes the gar/arow combo is ill-advised as they seldom grow at the same rate in a tank at that size. i would wait until the arow is bigger OR just raise them separately until they're each about 8-10" (which, in both cases, shouldn't take more than a month or two)--
--solomon

Arozilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
CANADA
I have a tank i am raising gars (spotted) in, same instance as you and the fishes are getting along fine.

jphillips2020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle
I saw one a few weeks back in LFS as well. I think they actually had it listed as a yellow tailed gar. It was in a tank with a needle nose gar I could be wrong but I don't believe it is a true gar nor did it look like one.

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
well true gar are usually bad with silver fish ingeneral for they think its prey item(shad, shiner, and etc...) so i would say no go.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
E_americanus;2511687; said:
yes, what is a yellow gar exactly, and what kind of arow do you have? if the gar is even comparable size to the arow it may try to eat it if the arow doesn't grow fast enough. at that small of sizes the gar/arow combo is ill-advised as they seldom grow at the same rate in a tank at that size. i would wait until the arow is bigger OR just raise them separately until they're each about 8-10" (which, in both cases, shouldn't take more than a month or two)--
--solomon
great advise as usual! just to add in my experience, i had a 7" spotted gar bite the tail off my 5"silv aro and killing it. the aro might look too big to be eaten by the gar as a whole, but their tapered tails look appetising.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store