Need another tankmate

chrisngo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
Alright, Tropheus are out ... so now I need to replace them with something to bring some life back to the aquarium. Size of the aquarium is 200 gallons... 7' length.

Here is my current stock list...

7 Callochromis Pleurospilus (mature, all about 3"-4")
10 Altolamprologus Calvus (juvenile, all about 1")
12 Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis (juvenile, all about 1"-2")

What should I add? I got some empty shells in there...was thinking a trio of L. Stappersi if I could ever find one. Also looking at Gnathochromis Permaxillaris, getting about three to six of them. They get fairly large...in the 6" range. Their mouths are kinda ugly though.

Not mine...but this is what they look like.
[yt]fxHQE88VcK0[/yt]

My only issue is ... too many sand dwellers and sifters together in one tank?

What I really want is to have something in the open water, but more fuller bodied than the Paracyp's. No featherfins because they will compete for sand with the Callochromis.

Give me your ideas. I look at the tank every night and would love more fish.

Thank you
Chris

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Fronts

More Calvus/Comps.

Featherfins will only compete when the males are making pits and flashing. Also, a 7' footprint will allow plenty of territories.

What other decor is in the tank?

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
Add some Benthochromis tricoti, they are freakin' awesome...:grinno:
They look much better than the Gnathochromis, IMO.

chrisngo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
Thanks for the replies. I have two rock stacks on either end and a large sand area for the Callochromis to sift through. I understand that featherfins will make pits, which is bad news for the Callochromis who make depressions for their nests. Nothing as elaborate as the featherfin stuff. I do not want the featherfins taking away any sand from the Callochromis'.

B. Tricoti are nice, i'll agree, But they are not a full bodied fish. I guess I'm looking for something that has more of a Central American cichlid body. I have the Paracyp's which are almost as nice as the Tricoti's, and a lot less expensive too!

Chris

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store